Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Porsche day- Up, down and around. with pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:23 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts
Default My Porsche day- Up, down and around. with pics!!

I had an interesting day, I thought I'd share. As you may have noticed in another thread, I bought an 88 NA needing a clutch, and today was the day I got to spend some serious time tearing it apart. The trans came out a few days ago, today was the attack on the bellhousing. For starters, I learned early on the PO had some hack wrench working under there. My first clue was one of the CV's bolts were very loose, only one bolt snugged up, grease everywhere (pic 1). The second clue was someone attempted to remove a tab off of the torque tube by slicing it like a loaf of bread (pic 2). The third clue was a split sensor housing, patched back together with something that looks like JB weld. (pic 3) The 4th and final damning evidence is someone tried to "adjust the clutch to get more wear out of it and get home" by backing out the bolt that pins the clutch fork shaft in place. (pic 4) The clutch fork shaft walked out 1 inch, the clutch fork collapsed against the pressure plate, and the pedal won't go past 1/2 way down. That is how I got her. Nothing I can't fix, but 4 big color pics of why this car is not for the average mechanic.
THEN, Brad (AgRosa) called. We had stumbled on an 86 Turbo for sale in the area, advertised on the PCA classifieds. We've been trying to find a day to go see the car, chat with the owner. Today was that day. Lucky for me, Brad is a Porsche salesman and had a Cayman S out for the weekend. The seller of the 86 turbo had expressed an interest in a Cayman, and this was Brad's "sales call". He says, "I'm on my way to pick you up, we'll go see the 86". He shows up in my driveway in this Lapis beauty (Pic 5) and I scrub up and hop in the cockpit of this brand new mid engine toy. She's a lot of fun to drive, but a little tight for a guy of my size. The HP (295?) comes on early but lacks the kick of a force fed car. The neatest thing is the bulbous haunches in the side view mirror. (very James Dean Spyder looking) We arrive at the sellers house, and drool over a couple of Lotus' before we get to see the 951. This car (pic 6, 7, 8) is an original owner, perfectly optioned 86 Turbo. She's sunroof delete, sport seats, LSD, sport suspension car. IIRC it is showing 107K, and has a couple of resprayed panels due to key job. She's for sale with a couple of minor issues north of 10K. If the seller asks me to, I'll post more pics and details. I've invited him to join us here on Rennlist. He's a very knowledgeable owner, and will point out every tiny issue to a prospective buyer as he did for Brad and I. Anyway, I hopped back in the Cayman and zipped home for dinner. After dinner, I finally got the bell housing free and dropped the clutch. Here is a closing shot of my flywheel, as she sits. (pic 9) I'll pull that off to resurface it and get to the RMS this week, I expect a nice box from Paragon Tuesday!!! (Sorry I missed the Columbus GTG!)

So, does anyone have a spare sensor housing laying around?
Attached Images          
Old 10-09-2006, 02:57 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I've got that bracket. Send me your address and I'll get it out to you. Nice pics. those new caymans look 100x better in person...so damn sexy
Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone on here buys that 951 and for some reason puts aftermarket seats in, I want those sport seats.

But very nice! Well, at least the cayman and 951. Hack jobs, not so much.

I always wonder why people who can't afford to properly maintain these cars buy them. Well, no, I understand why they buy them, I just don't understand why they go to such extent of crappy work instead of just selling it prior to the crap work.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dan, are you going to buy the Turbo? you really need three 944's!
Old 10-09-2006, 09:32 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Mike, PM sent! Thanks! I'll trade you a 944Fest shirt for it if you want!

No, Judd..I'm not buying another. I've got enough heat for buying the NA. This Turbo we looked at was just such a rare optioned car, and just a few miles from my house, that I could not resist taking a peek. The owner only has it advertised in the PCA mart, I think he recognizes it belongs in the hands of a enthusiast. If he wants me to, I'll post more details and pics in a FS thread here.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:55 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

anyone want to buy my car so i can get a red one?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:26 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

PM sent back Dan P.

Graphite is a close second behind red in my opinion...but I feel ya, I got rid of a silver one to get a red one. Didn't some members (keith something?) swap over everything from a red and black car so they could have different colors?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:28 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

that was a long time ago. I think Ian swapped with him when he lived in NC.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Dan, after seeing it in action over the weekend i'd consider it. (that is after your intense clutch work)

Quick Reply: My Porsche day- Up, down and around. with pics!!