Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering out... how should it feel??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:17 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering out... how should it feel??

I notice when I get some up to speed it feels a little twitchy, and light, feels like the front end is getting light, when im accelerating WOT. most of the PS fluid has dripped out(incredibly fast)

Im going ot be putting on a manual rack as soon as i can.
Should i pull the PS belt, since theres no fluid anyway? will that make any difference?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Makis
Instructor

I will remove PS belt ASAP if you running with no PS fluid. At least this way you may save the PS pump if not dead already.

The faster you driver the lighter the steering gets and you you will notice more so when driving with PS assistance or on a Manual Steering. So what you experience is probably normal.

PS with no assistance is not as good as Manual Steering because the steering shaft is designed to have some torsion which when used with no PS assistance will give some strange steering effects.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:25 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

well it feels like im fighting to keep the car going straight, and with any bump in the road it really goes back through the steering wheel
Old 10-09-2006, 07:55 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I have noticed the same thing...have been using a power setup with the belt off for some time now.

I have mostly not put the belt back on and gave it some fluid because I have been busy trying to get the car working (have been having electrical issues, solved now though). I will be putting the belt back on in the near future and will post back with the difference if I remember to do that.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Originally Posted by M Danger
I notice when I get some up to speed it feels a little twitchy, and light, feels like the front end is getting light, when im accelerating WOT. most of the PS fluid has dripped out(incredibly fast)

Im going ot be putting on a manual rack as soon as i can.
Should i pull the PS belt, since theres no fluid anyway? will that make any difference?
why dont you just fix the leak ?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:05 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You willl get alot more feed back without power. However the handling will still be the same. Sounds to me like you have a small handling/alignmnet problem that is easier to feel without the powersteering. I think you need to check the front toe and possibly need new front shocks.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:32 PM
gratian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the car without the steering belt for a year now,but as soon I have a new pump pulley I will switch back to assisted. It's very hard to park the car...
Old 10-09-2006, 10:20 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I should have added that my front tires are a bit chewed up from track stuff and I am running an intermediate street/track alignment. I dont remember the exact alignment specs anymore, but the front of the car has near zero toe.

I think the car was exhibiting the symptoms you mention before you lost power steering; it is just that much more obvious now.

Quick Reply: Power steering out... how should it feel??