Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"easy" source for electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 09:24 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "easy" source for electrical power

Alright guys i took a look at the 944 factory manuals and i became instantly confused. I'm trying to find a good (simple) way to wire to wire things in (like rad. fans, etc). Just power really, and i would rather Accessory/Ignition power but I'll take whatever i can get.

right now i have a fan running off the battery, but I would really like to change that.

oh, has anyone ever tried to update the fues boxes in thes cars?

thanks guys!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about adding aftermarket accessories? I added a lot of things to my truck (seat heater, XM, police scanner, etc.) by running a fused wire directly from the battery through the firewall to a Bosch-type relay that's only active with the ignition on.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:48 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rrrockhound
Are you talking about adding aftermarket accessories? I added a lot of things to my truck (seat heater, XM, police scanner, etc.) by running a fused wire directly from the battery through the firewall to a Bosch-type relay that's only active with the ignition on.
I would prefer not to run stuff directly from the battery (like i do now). But there must be some way to tap into the ignition on circut... I just cant read electrical diagrams to find it, lol
Old 10-07-2006, 09:53 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Personally I would avaid tapping the ignition and run an auxillary terminal block and a relay like mentioned by Rrrockhound. The hot start ignition circuits on these cars is a crappy design IMO and remote relays are the way to go. If I didn't know better I would say they were designed by Lucas Electric; there's so much room for improvement
Old 10-08-2006, 12:45 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts

Any good auto store has a "piggyback" fuse. You plug it in to a fuse socket, and along with the tapped circut it creates a second fused circut off the top. It is a no brainer, how ever many amps you need, right from the source with no cutting and splicing. (however in the pic I have NO idea why they tap in to the fuse block only to route it right back IN to the block. Go figure.)
Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2006, 01:40 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Us audi folk have been known to use a setup exactly like Dan posted to trick the car into letting us run the foglights without having the headlights on.

I want to do the same thing on my car, without the AC the second fan is useless, so I want to hardwire a switch that only runs when the ignition is hot. I also plan to add push button start with a toggle master however, so I'm going to run the feed to the fan relay off of that once installed.

Quick Reply: "easy" source for electrical power