Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New timing belt melting, help, Now pics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New timing belt melting, help, Now pics.

Well this kind of sucks. I ran the car yesterday for 5 minutes and it was fine. today I ran it for about 10 minutes and then I shut it off and when I came back in like half and hour I wanted to check to see how tight the timing belt had gotten and it felt really tight and when I tried to push on the belt I saw that it was glued to the roller on the water pump which was all replaced and is not frozen or anything.

the roller also has meleted rubber stuck all around it and in this spot which was glued on it has a nice grove worn into the belt.

now I have to replace the belt again , hopefully I don't need to remove the crank pulley.

also I noticed the tensioner for the belt was also pretty howt after running for a while but the teeth are not worn.

so what could be causing the roller for the belt ot have rubber all around it and melted to the belt?

my only guess is that the betl must be too tight and it is creating too much heat on the roller?

I just noticed also that the roller almost looks like it has grease coming out of it now, just a very tiny bit but it is not frozen or anything and moves freely.

I should go and let off the tension so the tensioner doesn't get wrecked also.

should I buy a new roller also, I just replaced this.

that straight line you see on the belt is where it was melted to the roller. looks like the roller is taking off a thin layer of belt as it spins and the accumulated rubber on the roller melted to the belt when it was shut off and thus when I pushed on the belt it was stuck to the roller but a little bit of pressure got it to unstick.

Last edited by Yummybud924; 08-16-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:30 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

have you tried backing off the tension a little bit? I thought I had the tension correct on a timing belt (GTi 1.8T) and it was WAY too tight...I actually heard the bearings crying for dear life...I backed the tension off and just listened until it 'sounded' right and didn't look too loose (with the 90 degree test as well). Obviously not the best method, but one year later (and one HPDE) and she's as reliable as ever.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

but could a really tight belt cause it to melt on the roller? the belt was glued to the roller....

I used the kricket ot set it but I had a feeling it was way too tight this time.

maybe I'll set it by feel this time and then get it tensioned properly by someone but I don't live close to a porsche shop so I might have to get it towed to be safe.

I just want to know if it is the tension that caused it to melt and not something else that I missed.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

what I did notice was that the belt got much tighter when the motor was hot.

hopefully I won't wreck the next belt and roller. I'd rather buy another belt and roller than replace the motor.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe one of the rollers is not spinning and the belt is dragging across it, or the belt is somehow on wrong and rubbing up against something. I dont see how tension can make a belt get hot enough to melt. I can see the friction from the belt rubbing across something making enough heat to melt it.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you could start it, and watch the belt to see whether all rollers are spinning? although I'm not sure if you can risk it with the belt partially damaged...
Old 10-07-2006, 12:54 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I removed the belts and installed my flywheel lock again, this freaked me out. after the motor ran for ten minutes I shut it off and went inside for about 30 mins and when I came back the belt had melted and glued itself ot the roller on the water pump! and the roller obviously had melted rubber all around it.

when the car was running everything was spinning fine and I can see that the roller moves freely although it does not spin fast like the old roller but that should be normal.

the belt must have heated up and the roller removed material from it and then when it was shut of it was hot enought to glue the belt to the roller.

oh and nothing is rubbing as in the rear cover as the edges of the belt are not damaged. Only the flat backside looks like it has material melted and shaved off.

the teeth look slightly worn also.

I know that the belt felt really tight when it was hot but yeah I didn't think this would happen and i'm stilll not 100% sure it was caused by a really tight belt.

the water pump hs only a tiny bit of rubber stuck too it closer to the rear cover.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I also thought maybe it has to do with the water pump getting too hot and heating up the roller? I might have the wrong thermostat in and wasn't sure if it would open up, however the temp gauge was in the middle when I shut it off.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:42 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your water pump is frozen. There is NOTHING your timing belt can slip across unless its on the back side (the other side you skip timing). The waterpump is the ONLY thing the backside of the timing belt drives and if its not turning, it will kill your timing belt causing valve damage. The waterpump cannot possibly get that hot to melt rubber or the seals would melt first leaking water everywhere.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

okay let me explain tihs again. the water pump is a brand new laso water pump from paragon and it turns smoothly and freely and when the engine was running I could clearly see the water pump turning it is definately not frozen.

and second of all, the water pump pully onlyl had tiny traces of rubber on the sides but what had lots of rubber stuck to it was the idler roller.

the idler roller is also new and not frozen and when I shut the engine off the timing belt got glued to the idler with the melted rubber.

the timing belt did feel damn tight when the engine got hot.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand of belt? Maybe it was defective... Do the rollers and water pump turn freely by hand with the belt off? They should.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:01 AM
tomrc
Pro

Are you sure it's not oil? Maybe you have a seal leaking oil on the belt. Oil, rubber belt and heat will make a sticky black residue on the rollers.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

No oil has leaked so far, it is definately melted rubber on the roller.

with the belt off the roller and water pump do turn freely by hand.

I bought a Gates OE belt from paragon so it is a good belt.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Belts don't melt when it has nothing to slip against. Fact is, it only rubs against the waterpump and barely touches the idler but it is not supposed to touch ANYTHING else. Post some pictures and we will see what this is all about.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Legoland is right, pictures are going to help.
What does the balance shaft belt look like? Did you turn the bal. belt tensioner so that the belt is pulled to the inside and not the outside?
Did you check the rear belt cover for any damage and proper alignment? Around the crank? Cam area?

Quick Reply: New timing belt melting, help, Now pics.