Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New timing belt melting, help, Now pics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 06:54 PM
AR10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like B.S. to me.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bull****? why the hell would I make this up.

I'll post a pic of the roller with the rubber melted to it but I wiped most of it off.

again the belt still looks okay even though in some spots there is rubber glued to it that came off from other spots and some spots its worn out.

the belt cover has nothing to do with it as it's not the sides of the belt that are melted ( and it does not rub on the cover) but the part that touches the water pump and roller.

the roller is the one that had lots of rubber stuck to it (like a thin layer of rubber all around the roller and the belt was stuck to it from melting)

like I said the belt was very very tight

I can't see anything else that would cause this as the water pump and roller are fiine so it must have been the super tight tension when the engine got hot.

I'll try and post a pic of the roller and the belt but my camera isn't great. I removed them from the engine and ordered a new belt and roller.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I"m not yeah it was also strange to me that the water pump barely had any rubber stuck to it but the roller had rubber all around it (thin layer).

I would think if the belt was super tight it should have melted on the pump as much as it did on the roller.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

just posted the pics if anyone wants to see.

I think I did not describe this accurately it was not like the thick rubber belt entirely melted but it looks more like a thin layer of rubber is being shaved off the flat part of the belt that runs on the roller and pump and this thin layer acumulateds on the roller and I guess this thin layer on the roller heats up and melts and it stick to the belt when shut of and not moving anylonger.

this is just my theory but I'm not sure why it is doing this, the roller is not frozen.

only thing I can think of is that the belt was way too tight and second, the roller was dripped by me on the ground and the surface got a tiny bit damage and I used 1000 grit sand paper to smooth the rollers surface out and it does feel perfectly smooth.

I ordered another belt and roller just in case.

also this time i'm not sure if 40 pounds with the cricket when the belt is back 1.5 teeth from tdc ( to let off the tension) which results in 50-65 pounds on the long span of the belt when turned to tdc and add the engine expaning and the long span of the belt will probably have like 70 + pounds of tension on it.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you get any belt whine? I would think with 50-60 pounds of pressure that belt would be screaming for it's life. I would even suspect that if the roller was bad it would squeal.

I had a roller go bad and seize, the timing belt wore nearly through a third of it before I saw what happened. The belt, although being rather worn, was not melted. Check and make sure there is nothing else in there that could be causing the melted goo. Maybe something is coming off the balance shaft belt, maybe the cover under the crank is rubbing and kicking up dust that is getting super heated on the rollers.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

no there was no squeeling for sure. I'm not sure what belt whine is as I have nothing to compare it too, the belts were pretty noisy but I don't think it was too much. the engine is pretty noisy anyways with the loud injectors firing and belt noise.

when the engine was running I looked at the belt running and both the water pump/ roller were turning and not squeeling or making any unusual noise.

now I think maybe the roller being sanded with 1000 grit paper to smooth it out after dropping it may have been enough to shave a layer off the belt but it felt smooth when I ran my fingers over it.

My belt was set at 40 pounds with the kricket after the crank was turned anticlockwise to position the cam at 1.5 teeth before tdc and at this point the long span that the kricket reads would be slack and I set it to 40 pounds resulting to 50-65 pounds on the long span when turned back to tdc. all these readings were on a cold engine to they increase when the engine is hot.

I thought maybe I'ld set the belt to 35 pounds this time with the kricket which is the setting for the old belt.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:30 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Something sounds wrong here. 40lbs is the correct setting on the kricket at 1.5 teeth backwards rotation from TDC.
If you were closer to me I'd drop in and take a look to help out, but you are a few hours away and I don't think I could make it out to help.
I've never ever seen a timing belt melt before. Were you able to twist it 90*?

Just to be clear, 40lbs should be almost off the bottom end of the scale on the kricket. IIRC it's calibrated in both pounds and kilograms, make sure it's not set to 40kg.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:44 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yes it is 40 pounds not kgs. I just go to tdc then back it off a little and the long span goes slack then I tension it until I get around 40 pounds. then when at tdc it gets much tighter and the kricket will read like 50-65 pounds and then when the roller is installed it pushed down on the belt even more and it probably adds a bit of tension.

now the belt feels pretty tight to me but when the engine got hot it felt crazy tight, I should have taken a reading but i'm guessing the cricket would read 70 pounds. it was super tight all around, on the water pump long span could barely be pushed down when it was hot.

yeah maybe it is not due to the tension but something else.

the backside of the belt only runs on the water pump / roller as mentioned so these would have to be faulty and i can't see this.they spin freely.

I dropped the roller once and had to sand some spots with 1000 grit paper and it felt smooth to me but as you can see from the pic the roller ahs rubber all over it

and like I said it's not as if the thick belt actually fully melted but the thin layer than is rubbed off onto the roller and tiny bit on pump pulley look like thy melted possibly due to the belt running off the rubbed off belt on the roller and melting due to the friction and when the engine shut off teh melted layer of rubber on the roller glued to belt.

Quick Reply: New timing belt melting, help, Now pics.