Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYNO results: 944SMAX chip SFR SS Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:17 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYNO results: 944SMAX chip SFR SS Exhaust

As promised, I went to the dyno this morning. The dyno used was a Dynapack Dyno. I have never used one of them before and i can say that i am NOT impressed. It seems to read ridiculously low. But since this was basically done for AFR results it didn't matter. Next weekend I will retest everything using a trusted Dyno Dynamics Dyno. But for those that just want to see the actual results from this, here they are:

**Remember numbers were from a DYNAPACK DYNO**

stock: 131.5 WHP , 127.2 WTQ - GREEN

944SMAX chip: 135.1WHP , 130.8 WTQ - PURPLE

944SMAX chip and SFR exhaust: 141.2WHP , 137.9 WTQ - YELLOW

This was the first stages on this chip. The final stage should be tested late next week. The next dyno run will have 2 charts (1 with the stock chip and SFR exhaust, and the other with the new 944SMAX chip and SFR exhaust)

The last dyno run is difficult to see because the line is yellow, but it is there.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:56 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like showing everyone the progression of our efforts. Since you like the response your getting driving around I'm not doing much else with the low end except I'm going to map out some of that HP dip. This chip took a little out and made the TQ curve more linear, but I'm going to bring TQ in a hair earlier and get a smooth arc on the TQ line.

On the top end I've smooted out the A/F from this run and stretch the TQ curve out a little more. The pre-production release chip is on its way to you.

I'm actually happy to see ANY HP/TQ increase as my goal in this map was just to smooth it out and add better response. You just don't get a lot of HP/TQ increases from a non-turbo engine with chips alone. As you can see, the new exhaust made the biggest difference. Any mechanical attribute will have a much greater effect than the software will on the NA.

Onward and upward...

Russell
Old 10-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

hahaha. I LOVE IT. take that you "porsche did everything perfect" fools.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Uh Campeck? You can make a more significant amount of power out of a 4 valve per cylinder car than a 2 valve. Remember Mr. Wilk's chips? I've seen no one post a dynosheet higher than 3-4 HP from what I recall either on Rennlist, or Pelican.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:03 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nice increase the whole way across-- Don't worry about the dynapack reading lower-- you were doing a comparison and you got exactly the information you needed. One thing I would worry about with the dynapack is what it will do to your clutch. . . It totally eats bad ones and chews a little bit on good ones

I have used the SFR exhaust--it is beautiful-- Tim is an amazing welder!!

Russell-- Nice work! Where in Upstate are you?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:08 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by tedwright
Nice increase the whole way across-- Don't worry about the dynapack reading lower-- you were doing a comparison and you got exactly the information you needed. One thing I would worry about with the dynapack is what it will do to your clutch. . . It totally eats bad ones and chews a little bit on good ones

exactly right, i just needed the improvements.

i didn't like the way the dyno began, it seems like it would eat a clutch.

the SFR exhaust IS an INCREDIBLE piece of work. It fits like a pair of OJ Simpson's black gloves (perfect). The sound is SPECTACULAR!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:20 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by jgporsche
As promised, I went to the dyno this morning. The dyno used was a Dynapack Dyno. I have never used one of them before and i can say that i am NOT impressed. It seems to read ridiculously low. But since this was basically done for AFR results it didn't matter. Next weekend I will retest everything using a trusted Dyno Dynamics Dyno. But for those that just want to see the actual results from this, here they are:

**Remember numbers were from a DYNAPACK DYNO**

stock: 131.5 WHP , 127.2 WTQ - GREEN

944SMAX chip: 135.1WHP , 130.8 WTQ - PURPLE

944SMAX chip and SFR exhaust: 141.2WHP , 137.9 WTQ - YELLOW

This was the first stages on this chip. The final stage should be tested late next week. The next dyno run will have 2 charts (1 with the stock chip and SFR exhaust, and the other with the new 944SMAX chip and SFR exhaust)

The last dyno run is difficult to see because the line is yellow, but it is there.

Very nice results! I'm not sure why you don't like the dynapack, they're one of the most accurate dynos out there.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:05 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by tedwright

Thanks Ted, I'm in Greenville, about 20 miles SW of Albany near the Catskills.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:06 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
Very nice results! I'm not sure why you don't like the dynapack, they're one of the most accurate dynos out there.

a 944S from the factory has 188BHP and 170 ft-lb.

my stock run came up with 131WHP and 127 ft-lb.

are you saying their is a 30% drive train loss in HP and 25% in TQ?

the car is 18 yrs old, but it IS in tip top shape.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:03 PM
phooka
Intermediate

Actually I have had cars run on a dynopack before and seemed pretty accurate. I have noticed however that when they get hot, they both spew fluid, and become inaccurate.

dale
Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by jgporsche
a 944S from the factory has 188BHP and 170 ft-lb.

my stock run came up with 131WHP and 127 ft-lb.

are you saying their is a 30% drive train loss in HP and 25% in TQ?

the car is 18 yrs old, but it IS in tip top shape.
Don't worry about the numbers, we'll see what the next dyno says. It was only the comparison on this one of the stock chip vs the alpha chip. And again, I didn't expect to see any HP gain, I was pleasantly surprised by that myself. I knew you would see a gain from the exhaust, as we discussed.

Anyway, I was looking at the A/F again. The alpha chip A/F line is smoother than the stock, and at peak TQ was at 11.5:1, which really isn't that bad. Since this is a non-turbo it can be leaner, but the stock actually dips quite a bit richer around 6K RPM.

Now I can't wait to see the beta dyno...
Old 10-06-2006, 09:58 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Jesse,

More questions, what octane gas were you using and what gear was these pulls in?

Regards,
Russell
Old 10-06-2006, 10:39 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

93 OCT, I could have filled up before i got their, but i was running late. Traffic + the bad weather was killing my time.

4th gear.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:42 AM
phooka
Intermediate

Jesse, where are you finding 93 octane around here now? My usual places seem to have all gone to 91 for some reason.

dale
Old 10-07-2006, 11:20 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by phooka
Jesse, where are you finding 93 octane around here now? My usual places seem to have all gone to 91 for some reason.

dale
they sell 93OCT here on post.

phooka, i haven't seen a thread about your new 944S, or any pics!

Quick Reply: DYNO results: 944SMAX chip SFR SS Exhaust