Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheesehead bolt / allen bolt STUCK??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 04:18 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on www.Clarks-Garage.com he talk about "Waking Up the bolts. That means that he takes a punch of something and taps the top of the bolt a bit. Then tries to remove the bolt. He does this over and over untill the magical "TINK."

Introduction

Allen head and Cheesehead bolts can be extremely difficult to remove, particularly on 944 engines. Since most of the 944 engine is aluminum the steel bolt thread tend to bond to the aluminum. Because of this, almost everyone who has ever worked on a 944 engine has stripped an Allen head or cheesehead bolt at some time. To help prevent this, I'll share this tip I learned from a mechanic friend of mine.

"Waking Up" the Bolts

Using a punch or socket extension and a hammer, tap around the outside head of the bolt.
For Allen head bolts, tapping on the inside of the Allen head opening with a punch and hammer is effective as well.
While attempting to remove the bolt, ensure that the Allen head tool or cheesehead socket remains inserted straight into the head of the bolt. This requires using two hands, one to hold the tool straight into the head and the other to turn the tool.
If the bolt does not break free easily, tap the head again.
Clark's Garage © 1998
Old 10-28-2006, 04:39 PM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

Just broke the friggen extractor off in the block....
And since my friends keyboard is broken every b has to cut and pasted in!!

Grrrrrr.....
How do I get the extractor out?
It is broken off below the block. It is deep in there...
No drill I have found can even scratch the thing....
Any tricks you all know???
I can't even get down to it to weld something to it and pull it out that way......

I am really getting tired of previous owners who rig things and don't use antiseize......
Old 10-28-2006, 05:48 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

At this point I'd take it into a shop and have it removed. Might cost $1/min to have them work on it but it'll be good.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may need to be EDM'd out. That's electro-discharge machining and it shouldn't be too hard to find someone local who does it.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:20 AM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

Has anyone heard of using Nitric Acid?
When building my robots (mostly aluminum and titanium) I talked to a some of the guys that have used it with some success. The problem is finding a source for it in small quantity.
Add a tiny bit of water in the hole and then fill it up the rest of the way with nitric acid.
come back a day later and the aluminum is untouched but steel is disolved...
Anyone ever tried this????
JC

Quick Reply: Cheesehead bolt / allen bolt STUCK??