Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of aftermarket windshield with antenn in the glass?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in need of a windshield and would prefer the cheapest route...no need for an antenna but need to make sure that the fit if proper for my '88 951S.

Jon - who installed your windshield? I'm having trouble finding someone who has the right part number...hoping somenoe national did it for you that might have a location in Indianapolis.

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 10-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It was not a national company, a local place in my area.

Seriously, call around and find a place willing to do the leg work in finding the correct windshield for you. There are plently of glass places out there. Try calling Safelite or setting something up on there website. I was going to use them initially but my father said to use the other local company because they were a bit cheaper. I think Safelite was $240 or so installed for a non-antenna...AND they come to your house or your place of work. Now thats pretty cool. Just i would have been SOL if they brought the wrong windshield and i was at work... . Again, i cant stress enough that you tell them to make sure they are getting the right windshield.

One thing to potentially check on is finding a 968 windshield. My friend and i 'think' it is the same as the late model 944/951/S2 windshield and it does not have the integrated antenna. Again, WE THINK it will fit, but who knows.. Porsche does some funky things when they switch the models around ...especially all that mid year, chassis # this to chassis # that malarky.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I've talked to Safelite, Guardian, GlassOne, Glass America and 89Glass today...they all give me the same answer...the non-antenna windshields are about 3/4" smaller than those with the antenna.

Still looking...I'd really rather pay something in the $200 range rather than something in the $400 range.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

You might want to check the thread I started a week ago. There are some useful bits of info there.

To add to what Jon has already stated: The P/Ns for PPG replacement glass are FW 360 for the non-antenna (late) windshield (about $200) or FW 505 with antenna for about $500.

As I mention in the other thread - do a search in Mapquest under "auto glass". There should be plenty of places in your area that can get the PPG replacements.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Ahhh...what did we do before the Internet?

Searched on PPG's site...directed me to a place called Sentry and they will have an FW360 for me to install Friday morning.

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already been said, but mine was $500 installed w/ antenna.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think mine was around 280 installed with safelite a few years back. I wanted the non-antenna version as I am using one of the fuba up top. The problem was it was going into an 86 which didn't have air bags. The only non antenna windshield they had for the late style was for the 968 and it was for air bags.
The difference between the air bag and non air bag windshields is a rubber strip that is added to the bottom. Slice it off and whala.. you have a non antenna windshield for an 86 with no air bags. Worked out fine for me. Just a tip if anyone else runs into this problem.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Someone should compile a list of the top 10 most asked and answered technical questions (im not refering to how do i convert my n/a to turbo crap). Sticky that thread at the top and be done with it. I think i have posted the same exact picture of the windshield part # in three different threads.

Some ideas..

-How do i get the proper non-antenna windshield for my late model car?
-What should i do imediatley after buying a 944 (EG, Timing belt). Parts list and a link to procedure
-How much work is it to change my clutch
-My clutch pedal went to the floor
-Do these wheels fit my car... give information regarding offsets and spacers
-How do i add a sway bar to my non-sway bar optioned car
-My sun roof dosent work

Honestly i see questions regarding to this atleast once a week.

But then again, i am sure the questions will still get asked as noone even reads the sticky's!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are forgetting the most important one, "How can I get more power out of my 944 N/A..."

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Someone should compile a list of the top 10 most asked and answered technical questions (im not refering to how do i convert my n/a to turbo crap). Sticky that thread at the top and be done with it. I must have said have posted that picture with the part #'s 3 times now!!!

Some ideas..

-How do i get the proper non-antenna windshield for my late model car?
-What should i do imediatley after buying a 944 (EG, Timing belt). Parts list and a link to procedure
-How much work is it to change my clutch
-My clutch pedal went to the floor
-Do these wheels fit my car... give information regarding offsets and spacers
-How do i add a sway bar to my non-sway bar optioned car
-My sun roof dosent work
Old 10-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I dont even want to fuel the fire involved with that question Sysgen. You can file that one under in the same "How do i turbo my n/a" category. I wouldnt bother adding that because honestly there is no KNOWN fix for that. I am talking about the true technical stuff that has a direct fix for.

Afterall, i think alof of the answers to the 'how do i get power' threads are speculation, as noone has really tried anything..they are just repeating what others have said, who repeated what others have said......who repeated.....

Perhaps we should throw up a something like "Here are a few options to make power.....camshaft upgrade, ENGINE SWAP"...blah blah. Maybe ill start putting something together tonight.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I meant it as a joke, but a quick answer like ..No, get a Turbo.

That subject comes back so often.

But I see your point, let's not stir the pot.

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I dont even want to fuel the fire involved with that question Sysgen. You can file that one under in the same "How do i turbo my n/a" category. I wouldnt bother adding that because honestly there is no KNOWN fix for that. I am talking about the true technical stuff that has a direct fix for.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

More ideas..

-If a Porsche crest valve stem cap group buy comes up, should I participate?

.. could not resist. But the idea is good. There are a few categories on AF that have HUGE FAQ posts stickied at the top for that make. It would be nice to put something like that together for the 944 over here.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Sysgen, i knew you were being sarcastic .

Like i said, ill start to put something together tonight. So instead of the constant "USE THE #@%# SEARCH BUTTON" it will turn into a "USE THE $@%@ SEARCH BUTTON AND READ THE STICKY THREAD!". Because i know its not going to make a difference if there is a sticky or not..because NOONE will read it anyhow.

Travis, if the valve stem group buy saves you $2.00 over the cost of buyinig them yourself...absolutley!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like this. Maybe John D. can lock an FAQ post to the top with the welcome and carfax disclaimer.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm still waiting on the stimulated sheepskin covers groupbuy.

I like this. Maybe John D. can lock an FAQ post to the top with the welcome and carfax disclaimer.
You mean the carfax and non-member-sales disclaimer that no one reads?

Quick Reply: Cost of aftermarket windshield with antenn in the glass?