Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny drain plug woes and questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006 | 11:32 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by Diego
Yep, been down that road too. I had the outer edge of the plug crack so that when I tried to remove it with the 17 mm hex key it would just spread apart and the 17 hex would just slip. I heated the plug with a little propane torch and that helped it come loose. Just out of curiousity has anyone tried ordering a new fill/drain tranny plug from Porsche? I did and they gave me a plastic plug that required a 12 or 24 point socket "can't remember" and when I questioned the plastic plug was told that the old steel hex plug was no longer available and was replaced with a plastic plug. I refused the plastic plug and said I would look for a used steel plug. Anyone use the "new" plastic plug yet?
Thanks for the response Diego, I will try using a propane torch, now why didn't the VW/Porsche service center not do that? If the torch doesn't work then what? Drill it out like someone else did?

You can get the 17mm plugs from the VW dealer same specs but it has a small VW on it and a few $ cheaper.
Old 10-04-2006 | 01:40 AM
U-30AT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Epic2112
Depending on just how frugal you want to be...

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Actually, pretty reasonably priced, I think. Btw I own one, and think it's well worth the price.
am getting ready to do this and already have the sears hex...but after reading these horror stories the snap on socket looks like the first step in right direction..
Old 10-04-2006 | 01:52 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by U-30AT
am getting ready to do this and already have the sears hex...but after reading these horror stories the snap on socket looks like the first step in right direction..
I'm convinced it's all a matter of where you live. Where you live road salts are an issue that can't be ignored. Nothing like aluminum and carbon steel to wreck your day from a corrosion standpoint. Out here those plugs come out like buttah!
Old 10-04-2006 | 10:10 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
You can get the 17mm plugs from the VW dealer same specs but it has a small VW on it and a few $ cheaper.
Hey Mark, if you happen to have the parts number handy, it sounds like it would be a great addition to this cross-reference thread for parts
Old 10-04-2006 | 07:30 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Hey Mark, if you happen to have the parts number handy, it sounds like it would be a great addition to this cross-reference thread for parts
Give me a few days to get the receipt back from the tax accountant and I'll post it. Ya ya I right off the repairs and parts where I can, you would too.
Old 10-05-2006 | 12:54 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Thanks! No rush.

I occassionally goof around the idea of opening a small used car dealership just to write stuff off!

Throw some magnetic signs on the door of my car and write off some of the mileage as "advertising". writing off the mileage and hotel stays at various car shows and fests, buy a new computer for the business... and write off the broadband and buy some new tools for the business, too!
Old 10-05-2006 | 04:36 PM
lug nut
Advanced

Autozone carries a set of allen head sockets in 1/2" drive for about $9. I know a 17mm is in the pack, can't remember what the other two sockets were. It worked just fine getting my drain plug out. It was the cheapest thing I could find.

Quick Reply: tranny drain plug woes and questions