Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceleration vibration - can't find the answer

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:33 PM
phild328
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Acceleration vibration - can't find the answer

I tried searching, I couldn't find the answer,sorry. Would someone help me and point me to the answer.
I have excessive vibration problems and it seems to be very common on the 944, so I am looking for what is the most typical cause.
Problem: Under hard acceleration there is extreme vibration from the rear. Or at least thats where it seems like it is from. It is definitely not the engine - as soon as you clutch or let up - it disappears. It appears to match wheel rpm - not engine rpm.
So CV joint, wheel bearings, brakes, wheels, tires, trans mount, torque tube, torque tube bearings, shaft coupler, trans bearings, pilot bearing, clutch disc, clutch pressure plate.
Can anyone order this list from most likely to least likely?
I believe my wheels, tires, and brakes to be in good working order.
I have this problem in an 88 944, it became very noticable after replacing the clutch. But before you say it was because of the clutch.... I also have the problem in a 944 Turbo (w LSD). Nothing was done to it. It was fine and now it is getting worse and worse. I drive other 944's with the same problem. It has to all be the same - it all feels identical. I don't believe it to be the clutch.
It almost feels like the tires become distorted by the power - which seems possible in the Turbo, but doesn't make any sense in the NA.
I am leaning towards CV joints, but that doesn't make sense in the 944, since I didn't change them with the clutch. Unless putting the half shafts on in different location did it in that case - maybe swapped sides or flipped them around - can't remember was a long time ago.
This has to be a common problem, and there has to be a common answer. I want to replace one thing - not try ten different things.
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:49 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suspect the engine mounts, have they ever been replaced. You say the vibration stops when you push the clutch in, which in my opinion points to the engine. If it were at certain RPMs on the 951 I'd say maybe balance shafts/belts. But at all rpms, just under power, I'm thinking engine mounts.

Regards,
Russell
Old 09-29-2006, 02:49 PM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem and found the rear wheel axle nuts werent tight.
Bearings didn't like that much.... it eventually started to clunk when I gave it gas or let off of it.
I jacked the car up and could wobble the wheel top to bottom.

Quick Reply: Acceleration vibration - can't find the answer