Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best 930 in the world

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crunky
What about torsion bars? Lemme tell you that in the thirties T-bars were pretty technologically advacned, they allowed for the most light weight suspension the world has seen. And quite frankly, I think that its amazing that the same general set-up has lasted for 60+ years.
They were out-dated in the 80's, period. The typical coil spring/coil over setup is much more simplistic, lighter, and is an overall technically superior setup than TB's. TB's work just fine, though just because Porsche used it doesn't mean it's the best. Porsche, in the past at least, seems to raid the left-over parts bins, design a component/car using these pieces and then stick with it a little too long. I'm sure financial concerns were one of the reasons. Case and point, while the rest of the world's sports cars moved out of the stoneage in the early 90's, Porsche was still using MECHANICAL FUEL INJECTION on the 911 Turbo up to '94? WTF?! Oh, it worked just fine and amazingly they managed to still keep it competitive but that's pretty ridiculous IMO. Even the 3.2 Carrera and 964 had EFI.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
Gawd, that was way overdue! Thanks, tifo!

Regards,
Ditto

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
Ahhh, You must have meant "immaculate" - And it certainly is!

Double Ditto
Old 09-27-2006, 01:40 AM
Crunky
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschefile
They were out-dated in the 80's, period. The typical coil spring/coil over setup is much more simplistic, lighter, and is an overall technically superior setup than TB's. TB's work just fine, though just because Porsche used it doesn't mean it's the best. Porsche, in the past at least, seems to raid the left-over parts bins, design a component/car using these pieces and then stick with it a little too long. I'm sure financial concerns were one of the reasons. Case and point, while the rest of the world's sports cars moved out of the stoneage in the early 90's, Porsche was still using MECHANICAL FUEL INJECTION on the 911 Turbo up to '94? WTF?! Oh, it worked just fine and amazingly they managed to still keep it competitive but that's pretty ridiculous IMO. Even the 3.2 Carrera and 964 had EFI.
I never said that becasue Porsche used them that they wre the best. Despite of other advances, I still think that its amazing that this archaic setup was used so effectively. Like I said:
Originally Posted by Crunky
...in the thirties T-bars were...
I didn't say that they are superior today, but they were still used competitively in the 1980's,

Quick Reply: Best 930 in the world