Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help required with centre instrument console removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:02 AM
malbaby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help required with centre instrument console removal

I need to remove the top centre panel of the console that has the 3 small round instruments in it.
There are 2 phillips head screws, one on either side at the top.
I have removed these but the top panel does not want to move.
What next ?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Click on Garage Shop Manual and look for the dash replacement procedure. You`ll find everything you need.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:43 AM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's an early car there are a few other things you must do. the little handles on the heater sliders pop off and the **** on the fan swith comes off and there are also a few screws on the sides in the
footwells. I believe there are also some plastic clips that grab somewhere. (it's been awhile since I had mine out)
Old 09-26-2006, 11:26 AM
WGB
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove radio and there should be two screws almost vertical exposed at top of radio hole pointing upwards. Pull off 3 ***** from heater controls and pull off fan **** - after removing two aforementioned screws heater control faceplate comes off'

I think this exposes another two screws at bottom of panel with gauges in it, with two more visible at either end of gauge panel visible on panel itself at either end near top, mine also had two screws through the carpeting on either side of the console near the top.
If you have factory Aircon the control occupies the central instrument position. The Air-con control **** has a hole in the bottom and when a small screwdriver is pushed into the hole it releases a spring clip and the **** pulls straight off. This exposes a plastic nut which is flat with two holes in it. This must be turned and unscrewed to release the A/C control from the upper panel which then comes free except for the wiring to the instruments leaving the Aircon control sitting where it was.

If you do not have the aircon control I would assume the instruments and panel would simply lift out and need to be disconnected from their harnesses. They may need a little gentle jiggling before the assembly will pull free.

Putting it back is the reverse with usually several attempts required to get all the lights to stay where they are supposed to stay.

Use no force and be gentle - it does come apart.

Bill Babe

Quick Reply: help required with centre instrument console removal