Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:18 PM
PennyWise
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
They also tried to sell me a very bad 944 Turbo Cabrio,
Was that the red one.... I was also tempted. but not enough background

BTW.. its been sold since..
Old 06-18-2007, 05:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

You could probably flush the radiator, change oil/filter, change the airfilter, inspect the brakes and bleed the lines in under an hour.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:36 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

alordofchaos, do you take your 944 anywhere particular? If i cant track down my overheating problem (gonna try a thermostat, after that, im lost) and i may need to take it somewhere before 944 fest comes around.. I dont have a clue where to take it, and nearest dealer is 45 minutes
Old 06-19-2007, 03:48 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PennyWise
Was that the red one.... I was also tempted. but not enough background

BTW.. its been sold since..
Yes it was the red one, I was sooooo tempted mostly because there are only two in the country but it was in a terible condition even mechanicaly it had problems, the turbo was noisy and it was underpowered.
It was so obvious that it was just given a quick coat of paint to make it look nice. It needed a full rebuild and they wanted ZAR190k for it, I put a vallue of ZAR90k on it.

What upset me was the fact that the salesman tried to sell it as a very nice maintained good condition car.

PS: Is the spell check not working or did I just learn to spell?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:20 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats getting close to the amount of hours for a clutch job on a turbo.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:18 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by apierce918
alordofchaos, do you take your 944 anywhere particular?
No, I haven't found a good place yet that's familiar with these cars.

Just for kicks, I took it to my usual place (Geldhof Tire in Charlotte, honest folks) and they weren't real confident (they said they'd be willing to try and if it looked like they were getting in over their heads, they'd back out and button it back up. They recommended another place, Capitol City on St. Joseph Hwy, in Lansing. I haven't called them yet... I have a battery drain issue (door switch) that I need to fix, then buy a new battery.

There's a Porsche dealership in Lansing, but i'm afraid to ask their rates

When I lived in kalamazoo, I used to use Shoemaker's Garage, but that's even further away from you - they did a rebuild on my 924 after a minor, "Well, we're cruising nicely at 135 mph, hey, what's that thick trail of white steam behind me, OMG we dumped all our coolant through the exhaust and the temp is climbing" midnight run, when I was young and stupid

sorry for rambling and end hi-jack
Old 06-20-2007, 01:41 AM
holleman1
Track Day

Finding good mechanics is always been a problem. After my only source in Chicago closed, I finally figured out that I didn't need to find a Porsche mechanic, just a good honest one willing to work with me. My 86 NA is a daily driver and I don't always have the luxury to do the work myself.

I now have a good relationship with a local mechanic that works on all cars. I bring him the parts, the instructions from Clarks and he does the work. It has always been done right and inexpensive.

I have to let him charge me a little extra for not making money on the parts plus I always bring him gift certificates from the restaurants I operate.

Just goes to show its more about the quality of the mechanic than it is the knowledge of the specific car. He always calls me if there is an issues beyond what I was expecting.

Quick Reply: I was ripped off