Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any racers here using side nets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 12:48 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any racers here using side nets?

I'm looking for pictures of installed side nets in 944's. Pics of mounting locations and mounting hardware would be great.

Also, any firsthand pros and cons of using these would be appreciated.

Last edited by shiners780; 09-23-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:31 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Do you have a cage? If so, a good spring-load mount on top with some fixed bottom attachment works pretty well.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:35 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/260796-roll-cage-window-net-mounting.html

Those guys in the racing discussion know all the tricks!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:52 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, but.....not a "window net".......a side net. For the right hand side of the seat, keeps your seat/body/head from extreme lateral movement in a side impact.
Attached Images   
Old 09-23-2006, 09:57 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,

I would be interested in hearing what others have to say about that. I had always assumed that the side nets were primarily to prevent arm movement above all else. If you already have a good 6-point harness and a properly installed seat in an enclosed coupe, I wonder if the potential added protection would be outweighed by the added visual distraction an obstacle to egress (Think Ricky Bobby on Fire -- Save me Tom Cruise!). Just a thought.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:07 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Hey Todd,

Yeah, that's why I am seeking first hand knowledge. I don't think visual obstruction (not to be confused w/ distraction) would be present with proper mounting. As far as visual distraction, I would think that like anything, you would quickly get used to it.

Concerning egress, the one I'm looking at has a quick release tether.

I am still considering the +/-. It's a relatively cheap deposit in the safety bank, as long as the pros outweigh the cons.

I still need to get out and see that movie.....
Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

My bad, thought you were talking window net.

You are on the right track relative to egress. I'm not sure many folks invest the small amount of time required to insure their ability to quickly exit the car if needed.

I've done drills in my F-stock car, complete with all gear and a stopwatch. Wearing a helmet and a HANS and trying to get out of the car the first time will quickly show you what I mean. You need to develop a DRILL to get out of any car in a hurry.

For example, Ignition off, Car in gear, Open harnesses, Spring window net, Pop door open, Press HANS to chest and push helmeted head through openning above door bar, etc.

It will surprise you how long it can take if unrehearsed.

Of course, under almost ALL conditions you stay in the car, fully belted and suited and await instructions from corner workers, etc.

But, if it's in flames or in a pond you'll want to know that you can leave in a few seconds. I strongly recommend that anyone that tracks their car take a few minutes on a Saturday morning and practice getting out the driver and passenger sides of the car, doors open and via window only. If you change something (add HANS, sidenet, etc.), revise your plan and try it again.

Sure, you don't see many cars catching fire. But send a P-car with flamming hot brakes/exhaust out into the grass on a dry day... seen that happen quite a bit this year.

Just my 2 cents and a mild hijacking of the thread.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:46 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You are looking for this?

Rear mounting is to the cage. Front is to the tub in the corner of the battery tray. Not sure of the set-up on the late cars, but the early cars have pretty thick metal here and it is easy to get to.

got the net from BSR products.

As far as getting out... Pull the red strap and it unlocks the net. Side visiblity is hit or miss. I lost view to the outside mirror with this, but put in big 5 panel wink mirror instead. I think it is worth it from head restraint in side impact stand point to go along with my HANS. You visibility may or may not be impacted depending on how you sit.

The rear is mounted almost behind the set and the front kind of angles out. Probably not the best, but I wanted clear room to reach the shifter and things.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:45 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
You are looking for this?

Rear mounting is to the cage. Front is to the tub in the corner of the battery tray. Not sure of the set-up on the late cars, but the early cars have pretty thick metal here and it is easy to get to.

got the net from BSR products.

As far as getting out... Pull the red strap and it unlocks the net. Side visiblity is hit or miss. I lost view to the outside mirror with this, but put in big 5 panel wink mirror instead. I think it is worth it from head restraint in side impact stand point to go along with my HANS. You visibility may or may not be impacted depending on how you sit.

The rear is mounted almost behind the set and the front kind of angles out. Probably not the best, but I wanted clear room to reach the shifter and things.
Yes, thanks!

How do you keep the straps from slipping laterally along the roll cage tubing?

Which model net is that you have? The C5R Corvette, Rally, or Sprint?

TIA
Old 09-25-2006, 12:09 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I have the same (NASCAR model) BSR net - some pics I think on my website, will check. Mine doesn't angle as much, and goes straight forward. My shifter is under it; the only time it gets in the way is when I'm waving to corner workers!

This gives a decent idea:
http://www.vaughanscott.com/Races/20..._06/Tommy1.jpg

http://www.vaughanscott.com/Races/20...yron_radio.jpg

This shows where it sits on me:
http://www.vaughanscott.com/Races/20...6_05/Grid4.jpg

One last shot:
http://www.vaughanscott.com/Races/20...5/DSCN1924.JPG

We have small bars welded on to the cage to keep it from slipping laterally - as is often done with shoulder straps.

HTH...
Old 09-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

I think www.northstarmotorsports.com may have some configuration on mounting. Worth a try. They hosted a presentation by one of the racing safety guru's.

The key points in the presentation, as I recall them were:
1) Beyond helmet and harnesses (good control over torso exists widely)... get a HANS (gotta stop the head acceleration)
2) Big current focus on side movement (net you mention and special seats which contain shoulders)
3) Future horizon is what to do for legs, tough issue with much mass flying about in impacts

I may chase this side net concept as well having seen in-car of lateral impacts. WAY too much movement by driver to the passenger side.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:00 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by shiners780
Yes, thanks!

How do you keep the straps from slipping laterally along the roll cage tubing?

Which model net is that you have? The C5R Corvette, Rally, or Sprint?

TIA

I think it is the C5R net.

I use machine collars that attach to the bars. These can be found a McMaster-Carr.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:04 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Hey, excellent information guys...thank you! This is definitely on my list of things to get prior to next season. I am also thinking of getting the triangular net for the left side of the driver's seat, they call them J.B. Nets. DE restricts the use of window nets, but these J.B. Nets don't interfere with arm movement out the window (for point-bys) like window nets do and will provide the same type of protection as the right side nets but for left side impacts. Good stuff.

Thanks again for the pics and info!
Old 09-25-2006, 05:17 PM
M758
Race Director

I use my window net all the time in Racing of course and also when doing DE. In fact the only time I drive without my window net is autocross.

I have my window net mounted so that I can give point bys with it installed. Believe me driving a low hp car I often point by faster big hp cars in race practice and even dring a race.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:22 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
I use my window net all the time in Racing of course and also when doing DE. In fact the only time I drive without my window net is autocross.

I have my window net mounted so that I can give point bys with it installed. Believe me driving a low hp car I often point by faster big hp cars in race practice and even dring a race.
That's interesting, as out here they will black flag you for having a driver's side window net up in a DE. They specifically tell you that if you have a window net, to keep it down.

A regional difference I guess.

As long as you can effectively signal, I don't see what the big deal is. But rules is rules....

Quick Reply: Any racers here using side nets?