Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose ignition switch ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 02:42 AM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose ignition switch ?

Hi,

If I take out the key and turn the steering wheel it will lock up but I can still turn it some. What happens is the ignition switch moves up or down depending on how much I twist the wheel.

When I first got the car the rubber part and clip that goes around the switch wasn't there. Then the wheel could be turned enough to make the switch rotate behind the dash.

So I ordered the part for around the switch and the clamp figuring that was what it needed to hold it in place. Only I didn't know it was only rubber and wouldn't offer much support. So if you turn the wheel until it locks, then apply just a little more pressure, it still trys to rotate behind the dash. The rubber ring that goes around starts to slip off. Enough to where every now and then I have to push it back in place.

So is this just a simple case of tightening things up under the dash ... or ... is this the sign of a larger problem ?

-----------------------------------------------------
Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC

Quick Reply: Loose ignition switch ?