Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relative autocross times

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:44 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

At our autocrosses, the Boxsters are usually around the 107-109 second range with the Boxter S' around the 103-106. In my old 944 n/a I was around the 110s time once dipping into the 109 ocasionally. Our course doesn't change so we start to get a feel for what times are expected from cars. It's also a really open course, so horsepower makes quite a difference.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:55 PM
upcruiser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Well the thing that I eluded to, but did not metion outright is that driver skill is big factor. In Az mostly novices drive on street tires. Once you have gotten a couple years experience most guys run R tires. So these other cars I was beating were with drivers with much less skill and experience than me. When I run my 944 spec in autocross it is a top 4-5 overall car running 1-1.5 seconds off the top depending on if the very fastest guy showed up or not. Intersestingly I don't think I could run as fast in autocross in my Turbo S as I could in that old beat 83. The 951 was just never in the power band. When driving it I was mostly in the "dead zone" of hp and then transition to too much hp. While the 83 was low hp overall it was much easir to manage especially if I slid the hell out of the car. I typically did at least 1 or two powerslides per event in 8-12 runs with the tires squeeling all the way around the course. Funny to watch even the massive body roll.
Interesting that you make that comment about sliding the car. I was doing alot of steering with the throttle to pivot the car. It was a tight track about 55 seconds in length. People were telling me that if I smoothed everything out more it would be faster, which I believe to an extent, but to some degree, the tail out method seemed to really help me make fast direction changes. I was even chopping the throttle to induce lift throttle oversteer in some turns to help tighten the line. Is this similar to what you were finding? btw, my car is a mostly stock '83 just with a stripped to the metal interior and some 993 Cup II replicas giving me a bit more rubber on the road.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:02 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well when it comes to sliding it all depends on where and how much. Too much sliding will make you slow. To little and you are given up a bit of speed. The trick is knowing how much is just right.

Now that you mention a stripped car... first autocross in a NA I did back in 2000 was with my 944 stripped an on victoracers 225/50 R15 otherwise stock. That alone moved me to the top 7 autocross times overall. All the race prep I did later moved the car into maybe the top 4-5. Remember however that the race prep was desinged for the track not autocross so settings were not ideal for autocross.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:21 PM
upcruiser
Advanced

I'm not sure what I'm at weight wise, I'd like to get it on a scale though. Do you have your car set with much toe out? How about your camber? The winning car at this particular auto X was a WRX that had more negative camber then I've ever seen on a street driven car. It was crazy. Going into next spring I want to find the most $ effective suspension setup for my car that will give me some adjustability between auto X and some drivers ed stuff. I just love my 944 and can't think of a more forgiving, easy to drive, yet competent car out there.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:37 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Autocross is funny.

Sometimes I start to think the car needs to be changed to deal with the auto x track better. And that will help make you faster.

But then I see a nasty Honda Civic Hatchback come and get less than 1 second to FTD and I start to think the other way. That it's all driver.

Maybe it's a combination of both?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course its the driver (skill level) that is most important. After you get enough seat time, the type of car matters less and less. Someone quick in a 911 will also be quick in a 944 or 914 or whatever they drive. Car prep is the second part. Have you taken advantage of all the rules for the class you run in?

If you look at most PCA regions with large/competitive programs and look at the overall times, I think you will find a nice mix of old and new cars running similar times. That may be what you need to look at if there are few to no 944's running your events. If you get to the top 10 overall, then you know you are doing well!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:36 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by upcruiser
I'm not sure what I'm at weight wise, I'd like to get it on a scale though. Do you have your car set with much toe out? How about your camber? The winning car at this particular auto X was a WRX that had more negative camber then I've ever seen on a street driven car. It was crazy. Going into next spring I want to find the most $ effective suspension setup for my car that will give me some adjustability between auto X and some drivers ed stuff. I just love my 944 and can't think of a more forgiving, easy to drive, yet competent car out there.
I have my race car set for track duty. 3 deg negative front, 2.5 rear. 0 front tow and 1/8 toe-in in the rear. Those are not optimal autocross settings as you'd probably want more toe out. On the track toe out will put you into a wall in about 5 minutes.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

i lent my red S2 to a fast driver. he showed up at the middle of the event, did not get to walk the course etc. the car had konis but was otherwise bone stock. the rear tires were old Z rated tires from a BMW and the fronts were old H rated tires from an audi.

He was the fastest car on street tires that day.

again, the car is next to meaningless at the early stages. it is all the driver. focus on short shifting to keep the suspension level, looking way ahead, and executing each move as smooth as possible. having depth perception helps a lot too i am told.

Quick Reply: Relative autocross times