Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VHT Color Dye - vinyl dying

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006 | 08:28 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Nice work!

I'd say it could use a small amount of red on the doors, but I don't know what wouldn't go overboard. Maybe the back piece of the door handles?
Old 11-30-2006 | 12:44 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Excellent job! Looks very sharp.

Do you have any idea on how this would work on a seat? Think it could take the flexing and not crack off?
Old 11-30-2006 | 01:55 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Riff
Excellent job! Looks very sharp.

Do you have any idea on how this would work on a seat? Think it could take the flexing and not crack off?
I had my seats professionally redyed and the process she used was the same as what I ended up doing on my door panels and that Cra$h did. It's been on the seats now for ~9 months and it has held up fine. She used some flexible filler from Leatherique to fill the big cracks & then sanded it smooth, it was a lot like doing body work. The color match was excellent, different lighting accounts for the color difference in the picture below.

Here's a side by side before and after:
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2006 | 04:52 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I too was a bit worried about the red being overwhelming, but it actually turned out much better than I expected. I agree, it might need some accents on the doors. I still can't get over how OEM it looks. Everyone I've shown it to can't believe it was done with a spray can.

Greg, I actually did the work right before the challenge and drove it to Florida at the end of last month. 4500 miles in 7 days. I think I ended up 5th in the concours out of 60 cars. Pretty happy about that. You should see the engine and the wheels!

I would defer to Greg's comments on durability on the seats, but I can say that the console pocket that I had my arm on for the majority of the trip didn't show even a hint of flaking or transfer.
Old 12-02-2006 | 04:59 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Nice work. Looks really nice. Usually don't like that look but your eye made it work. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-02-2006 | 05:15 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

crash you have a pm.
Old 12-02-2006 | 06:31 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

That looks great! I might consider something like this now.
Old 12-02-2006 | 06:48 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

That is teh hotness!
Old 12-02-2006 | 11:44 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

First of all, congrats on your showing at the GRM Challenge, can't wait to read the article and see your car! There must have been some awfully pretty $2006 cars there if yours finished 5th.

A couple of unsolicited thoughts on adding some accents to the door panels:
- Not sure how clean a line you can get by masking but I wonder if you could paint the bottom, angled portion of the window switch surround and the bottom angled portion of the top of the door, which would continue the red line from the dash bottom into the doors. I'd thought about using some thin black pinstriping to cover up any ragged lines that might result from masking on the rear side panels, in my case I wanted to dye the lower portion champagne.

- Another thought would be to do just the plastic portion of the door pockets, the part above the carpet. It would be fairly subtle but would tie the doors in a bit.

Congrats again, looks great, can't wait to see it in person at our next GTG.
Old 12-03-2006 | 12:19 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregeast
I had my seats professionally redyed and the process she used was the same as what I ended up doing on my door panels and that Cra$h did. It's been on the seats now for ~9 months and it has held up fine. She used some flexible filler from Leatherique to fill the big cracks & then sanded it smooth, it was a lot like doing body work. The color match was excellent, different lighting accounts for the color difference in the picture below.

Here's a side by side before and after:
Did your side bolster wear through the leather Greg (left pic)? I ask as mine is in a similar condition and I was going to pick up new covers but after seeing your results I'm thinking otherwise!
Old 12-03-2006 | 11:07 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike B
Did your side bolster wear through the leather Greg (left pic)? I ask as mine is in a similar condition and I was going to pick up new covers but after seeing your results I'm thinking otherwise!
It was pretty thin but not all the way through. I'd recommend contacting your local Porsche or BMW dealer and asking who they have do their leather work for them. It's certainly worth at least having someone who knows what they're doing take a look at if for you. Like I said, she only charged me $125...

Here's another pic of the bottom bolster, before & after:
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2006 | 12:31 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply Greg...those are impressive results!
Old 12-03-2006 | 02:16 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

You know, after watching her dye the seats there really is no reason you can't do this yourself. You need some of the crack filler from Leatherique and some SEM Leather Prep, color matched SEM dye, a Scotchbrite and some fine sand paper. Clean the surface with the leather prep, apply the filler, sand it smooth and apply the dye. Clean the rest of the seat with the leather prep and the Scotchbrite and dye it and you're good to go. She didn't even take the seats out of the car.

Since you were already prepared to recover them I figure you don't have much to lose!
Old 05-26-2009 | 01:42 PM
Cole
Drifting

WARNING!!!! Resurecting this thread from the dead.

So how well has this stuff been holding up of the years?

Any of you Colorado guys still have your cars and would be willing to let me take a look at them?

Cole
Old 05-26-2009 | 04:53 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Use SEM. Read the post above yours.

Quick Reply: VHT Color Dye - vinyl dying