Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006 | 09:12 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Caster944- Actually, if you're referring to the black box in this pic, then it's not- this was circled for a dif reason- I'd sent it to someone else & was IDing it- it is the place where the large bolt goes that holds the seatback upright. It houses this huge nut like thing- most people have never seen it, so the 2nd & 3rd pics show what it is- I cut this out w/a dremel & you can see the big gash that was left in the inner black box- this thing is heavy for what it is, especailly considering that there are two of them & then the bolts are there too- the bolt sticks out the hole. I pulled this stuff when pulling my rear seat, along w/the seatbelts, etc- a total of ~35lbs- that nut thing will rattle your ears off unless you either remove it, or leave the bolt in, or stuff something in there to keep it still...

The seatbelt shoulder belt is anchored further back, behind/underneath the carpet- the last pic shows this- not sure if this piece was there already before the shoulder belt, but they just didn't have a hole in it, or if it was just not there at all....?
Attached Images     
Old 09-12-2006 | 11:21 AM
WGB
Track Day

I have just gone down to the shed and pulled my light out of the back of my car.

The brown wire is supposed to loop over to a double connector on the back of the light which supplies the earth for the "on" swith. It looks like it has snapped off the light itself in your photo.
There is a double spade connector which should be fixed to your light about where your switch is pointed and should be a mirror image to the two terminals on the other side which have the Brown/white and black cables connected to them.

You either need to be good at soldering to reattach the terminal that has broken off or you need a new light. It was a very standard Hella light fitted to all Porsche and Mercedes Benz over a 20 year period so any wrecker should have a working one if a new one is too expensive.

Bill Babe
Old 09-12-2006 | 11:53 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill- thanks again for all of your efforts... I really appreciate it- can't believe such a little thing has so much to it... I'm not great at soldering, but would at least try before buying something new- If that doesn't work, I'll check Sunset's "new" price & then check a few used parts guys here & see what I can do... Do you have a digital camera & can maybe snap a pic of the back side of your light (before you take it back out there) & post or e-mail me...? I'm PMing you my e-mail addy just in case. If you don't have a camera, then just ignore it & I'll find someone to snap a pic soon or just price a new part & order or something... I just had to order a $200 PS hose to fix a leak I've had forever & have a lot of car stuff nickle & diming me right now, so if I can't find a way to do this myself, or, find a used light for really cheap from someone here, stripping a car, then I'll end up putting this on the backburner awhile longer. At least it seems I've found my problem anyway- thans to you...

Old 09-13-2006 | 07:51 AM
WGB
Track Day

I'll go down later and take a picture but I think you'll find you have an identical light above your rear view mirror - wiring will be different, but the unit should be the same - or it is on my '85/1 NA

Bill Babe
Old 09-13-2006 | 09:47 AM
WGB
Track Day

I have e-mailed you a couple of pictures as I haven't the time to work on a post here. Unfortunately it was dark here in Western Australia and the camera doesn't focus too well in the dark.
Tell me if you have problems.

Bll
Old 09-13-2006 | 01:48 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks a lot Bill... The wire appears to double back- this is what I was wondering- I'll have to look at it again, now that I have these pics to go by. I'm posting them right now, so they might help others. Thanks again!
Attached Images   
Old 09-13-2006 | 02:49 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caster944
The last black box is for the rear shoulder belts that were an option until 89 when I believe they were standard.
actually if im not mistaken, the rear shoulder belts attached to a metal bracket that was welded in under the rear side hatch carpets. that is the rear seat catch that keeps the rear seat up.
Old 09-13-2006 | 02:50 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

i see i was a little late...lol
Old 09-13-2006 | 03:15 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Campeck- Are you saying that the 4th pic in my 2nd to last pic post (the top replay of this page #2) the red arrow is pointing to it...? This is the part that holds the seatbelt? It's been so long since I pulled the belts that I'm not 100% sure & I'm wanting to find out b/c someone here is trying to add shoulder belts to a non-shoulder belt car (for his kids).... Is this right....? I know the part we were talking about was definately the part that holds the bolt that holds the seatbacks upright, but there's more to the seatbelts than I remembered...

Thanks
Old 09-13-2006 | 03:37 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Allow me to jump in because I have fixed my seatbelt a coule of weeks ago.

Yes the arrow in the last picture points to the bracket that holds the seatbelt mechanism. One hole is for the bolt and the other is for an alignment pin so that the mechanism stays fix. That pin is in the back of the mechanism.
Old 09-13-2006 | 07:42 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

sysgen answered it. Ive been trying to do the same thing. although the earlyier cars with no shoulder belts dont even have the brackets. im not sure if later cars all came with shoulder belts or it was an option or if the brackets were standard. but on my 86 there are no brackets so i cut them off of a parts car and just need to tack them in.
Old 09-14-2006 | 05:31 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Campeck- I'm pretty sure they were standard on later cars, but not positive... How did you cut those things out? What did you use? Do you have pics? Were you planning to have them welded into place? I've looked at mine from my crazy "let's reduce weight" perspective & have considered cutting them out- not sure if they would add any structural integrity & if they should, wouldn't be a place would matter anyway, I would think...? So, do you have pics of yours cut out? I'd like to see since I'm never putting a rear seat back into the car anyway, I could get mine out & let them go w/the shoulder belts to someone looking to add....
Old 09-17-2006 | 08:32 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Campeck- you have PM.....

Quick Reply: What is this...?