Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad timing belt?

I just looked at my new GAtes powergrip timing belt and about half of one tooth on the belt is just bare rubber and is not covered by the reinforcing material. Maybe even less than half the tooth but still I can see a bare rubber tooth. Also the gates belt in comparison to the old Conti and other contis I've bought before feels like much softer rubber, don't know if this is good or bad.

I think I'm going to not install this belt and go and get a conti-tech, I don't like how one of the tooth is half covered.

Also one more questions I was a dumbassand was trying to install the crank woodruf key in wrong and ended up sanding it down with hand a tiny bit after it got some sharp edges and when I installed it properly both cam / balance shaft gear went in fine and the camshaft gear is in there tight and doesn't move when I try to but I noticed the balance shaft gear moves a very tiny bit side to side when I try to move it on the woodruf key. I thought this may be normal due to only a tiny bit of the key going into the balance shaft gear but I may be wrong. This is also without the crank bolt installed and torqued down.

I may just have to go and get a new woodruf key again to be safe.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:02 AM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you could get a timing belt from Porsche - and have a warranty from Porsche if that belt fails prematurely. The wodruff key should be fine, as long as it's tight in the hole. If not, then you should spring the 50 cents for a new key.

Dal.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:30 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the woodruf key is tight in the hole. Problem is I think i may have sanded it too much and the balance belt sprocket wiggles a tiny bit when it is installed, I don't think it's suppose to wiggle at all.

when I installed the old key the cam gear would wiggle also. I think I'll order one from paragon tomorrow. I just hate the waiting.

I"m not sure if I should just go to the local parts store and get a Conti or order a "porsche" belt from Paragon which they said they have no idea what brand it is other than coming in a box that says "porsche" so it could be Conti, gates etc.

I think Gates is the better belt but on mine one of the teeth is bare rubber so it looks defective.

I doubt Porsche will give a warranty on a belt that is installd by yourself........

Quick Reply: Bad timing belt?