Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange no-start condition on early 944......

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts
Unhappy Strange no-start condition on early 944......

So last night I go to bleed the cooling system for the (hopefully) last time and the car is hard to start. It takes two tries, the engine stutters a few times and dies. I try again and it stutters and finally comes to life and idles perfectly. I chalk it up to sitting for a while and really old gas in the tank.

Today, my brother brings home some fresh gas in a can and puts it into the car - about 6 gallons worth. Car will not start, won't even stutter. I tried tapping on the DME while cranking, no luck. I am new to working on early cars - is there a DME relay like the later ones? There are strong gas fumes from the exhaust so I *think* it's getting fuel - guess I will go check for spark and see what happens......
Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Fixed the problem - whatever it was......

I was going to test for spark, so I pulled the fuel pump fues (ceramic type) out of the fuse block. Pulled #1 spark plug and laid it against the engine, brother turned the engine over and it sparked - the engine also fired once and died. I put everything back together but noticed a crapload of corrosion on the ends of the fuel pump fuse - so I cleaned it. The car fired right up and ran smoothly, bled the cooling system and made sure the radiator fans came one. So now that I had the engine hot, I turned it off and attempted to restart - fired right back up!

Thanks anyway.......

Quick Reply: Strange no-start condition on early 944......