Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buy a nice 944 or for a few thousand more get a Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do like me and get both. The Boxster is an amazingly fun car to drive and my wife tracks ours. We have not had many reliability issuses that were Boxster related. The A/C clutch was out on the car and we just recently had a coolant bottle that needed replacement at the track (a common 986 and 996 problem).

One of the best things if not THE best thing about a Boxster is the handling. I blew a clutch my first week we had the Boxster in my 968 at the track and had to share the wife's car. I was amazed how easy it was to drive on streets in the upper run groups. Truely one of THE best handling cars out there.

If you are looking to track it and prefer a hard top, you can always buy one for the car. There is even a track version out there that just has a shell that mounts to the top of the car with the top down.

If you are thirsting for power, there is always the 3.4L swap to do and it is a fun project. I know a lot of the guys that know me might say that I was working on that swap for the better part of the year, and they would be right working out kinks at the track, but it is a sweet ride now.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
What are the things you feel need to be done to make a Boxster an enjoyable car?
Sorry I cam across a bit harsh. The Boxster is a nice car, but.

After driving just about every model Porsche over the past 25 years I had my first chance to put my friends Boxster S through its paces and unlike most every other Porsche including my Cayenne I walked away disappointed. I was not impressed with the new 996's and even the GT3 I drove was very capable but was lacking and did not give me the feeling I get when driving most earlier models. Then again I found the 996TT to be fast but had a somewhat bland feel to it. So take my input understanding this first. I am someone who would prefer a 928 GTS over a 996TT.

The Boxster S is a good looking car. If a roadster is to your liking than it is a fun car. I like coupes myself. The car was incredibly quiet. There was no way of knowing what was happening until you got high into the revs and only then you could start to hear some engine exhaust note. I had to concern myself with over revving the engine because it was very hard to tell where you were in the power band unless you looked at the tach. So first would be an exhaust change. Although it handled well with a nice balanced feel it flexed like crazy and it felt very unsettling when it did. I have not driven the Cayman S but I assume this is not an issue. I guess a camber truss and definitely stiffer sways would be needed. The suspension had no feeling to it. I preferred my 2.0l 914 over the Boxster and for the same money you can buy a nice 6. This car did not have the M030 package but from what I gather it would require more than that possibly some aftermarket suspension. The seats were awful, not comfortable and gave you little support in high speed turns so they too would need to be replaced. The stereo is so so and I would have to install the module to make the roof work without engaging the hand brake. I am not sure what can be done to eliminate the heavy feeling it has and I would also like a bit more steering input. Most of all the cable driven shifter used on the 996 and Boxsters IMO just plain sucks.

There are several other issues I had with the car such as grills falling off and other little problems but don't forget this was a one owner lightly driven car with low mileage and many extras and for the money I would prefer a nice 968 with everything imaginable in it coupe or if you like cab they both work for me over the Boxster.

I am sure others will disagree but my well set up 944 S2 is definitely a much more enjoyable car to drive than the Boxster S. Not fancy but gets the job done.

If you can find a nice Boxster for the right price that has been well cared for and low mileage than you should be OK but I think most of the cars selling for low $$'s will have major issues and from what I hear the engine issues are not repairable but require a replacement engine which costs close to $5k from the factory and another $5k to install, If that happened it may be worth dropping a 996 engine in it instead.

Don't get me wrong the Boxster is a capable car it just does not impress me as much as the 944 S2, 951's or 968's I have driven.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:33 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 413 Posts

Oh well - i guess opinions of cars are like opinions of anything else, just opinions...

I for one, loved my 02 base Boxster w/17" wheels - only sold it because I needed more seats...
Old 09-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
And not to be blasphemous but have you looked at a BMW Z3? Sexy car and very reilable from what I've heard.
BLASPHEMY!!......Off with your head............

Ryan,
Get something that can give me a challenge at least..........the Boxster just isnt going to do it........
Old 09-06-2006, 04:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Oh well - i guess opinions of cars are like opinions of anything else, just opinions...

I for one, loved my 02 base Boxster w/17" wheels - only sold it because I needed more seats...

Fair enough but how does it compare to your beautiful 968 and have you done anything to the 968? Amazon green I presume

Not that I would buy one but the BMW Z3 M coupe is a nice car and handles really well.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:23 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z-man
Nevermind the fact that Mrs. Z-man wants a new kitchen!!!!
I heard that you can get those with a lot of power but they aren't very good on the track!

Quick Reply: buy a nice 944 or for a few thousand more get a Boxster?