Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my oil seals okay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006 | 11:20 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Default Are my oil seals okay?

I did install all the right seals. They all had a tight fit, had to push hard to get them to go in. for the top balance shaft and crankshaft seal I pushed them in with my fingers and the lower balane shaft I used a 1 -1/4 inch socket I used this socket which is too small for the crank seal to help push it in a tiny bit.

anyways the lower balance shaft seal looks the best, by that I mean it went in way more than the other 2, like 6 mm below the top of the casting and the outer diameter has no gap with the inner diameter of the housing.

Now with the top balance shaft seal I did not have a socket last week when I installed it and jus tpushed it in with my fingers and it went about 1 mm below the surface, I tried pushing it in further with the socket today and it wouldn't go anymore. It also has a very tiny gap between it's outer diameter and the inside of the housing (when looking at the front), it is in very tight however.

The crank seal which I just installed also went about 1 mm all aound below the surface and the outside diameter of the seal has a clear gap between the seal and the housing, like I can get my finger nauil in it all aorund. I think this is because unlike the lower balance shaft seal this seal only went in 1mm below the surface. Again it is in very tight.

I tried taking pics but my computer is screwed up and it won't load.

so basicly my questions is if the two oil seals only went 1mm below the surface and feel tight are they okay or will they leak or worse pop out?

and then the two seals that went down only 1mm have a tiny what looks like a gap at the around the outiside diameter of the seal (between seal and support housing). the gap again is very small and it's not becase the seal is loose.
Old 09-04-2006 | 02:43 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also I used all purpose automotive grease (black stuff) to coat the bearings/ seals (2 of the seals) not sure if the grease is bad for the seal.

tomorrow I plan oncleaning the outside diamter of the seals and using permatex the right stuff to make a seal onthe ouside betwen the housing and seal just incase they leak from the outer diamter.
Old 09-04-2006 | 02:49 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

You need to stop using so much Permatex. You also need to stop being so paranoid. I am going to sound like an ******* saying this but you should really have someone with some more experience help you out with this project.

As long as the seal pressed in and you did not install it dry, leave it alone. Its fine.
Old 09-04-2006 | 01:50 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

putting permatex around the OD won't hurt the seal. I just want to make sure it doesn't leak from the outside because it looks like there is a tiny gap all around. It'll just make it harder to remove and more work to clean if it needs to be replaced.

I've never changed oil seals and I keep reading that if it isn't in perfectly square it will leak.

I guess i'll find out pretty soon. I was going to leave both covers off so I can spot a leak easier and it would be way faster to change a seal but I noticed that you can't allign the balance shafts without a rear cover.
Old 09-04-2006 | 02:07 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Don't take them out.

If they're not square, you can easily tell - they will look really crooked and tilted. Also, it is recommended to put a light film of oil on the seal outer circumference to help it slide in, and it will help with the seal a little. I've done this 3 times, and the first time I forgot the oil film, but nothing leaked anyway. If you ask me, the oil is just for helping to get it in.

Don't use any sealant at all. Grease is OK but oil is better. A friend of mine uses ATF, but that's dumb because we all know ATF eats up rubber (just look at your sway bar bushings, eaten by PS leaks).

NOTE: the upper balance shaft seal should say 47 on it. The lower balance shaft seal should say 48 on it. If they are recessed 1mm that is great. I don't think they should go in farther than that.
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:18 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

thanks I guess they are fine then. I was only worried because the lower balance shaft seal went in way more when I tapped it in with a socket it went in like a good 6mm or maybe little more.

no they don't look crooked at least when I look at it, maybe one side could be in a mm more.

the crankshaft seal however seems to have a visible gap between the OD and the oil pump housing when looking at it but it's in there tight and I think this may be normal.
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:22 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Now I lost my oil pump thrust washer / I still need a 12 point cheeshead tool to get the cam off (I'll order it from Zims).

oh, I can't turn the oil pump by hand, now that the seal is on, is this normal?

I'm still tempted to put a tiny layer of permatex around the outer OD of te oil pump seal just because I see a gap all around it makes me paranoid.

I did use oil to make installation easier and used the correct seals, upper 47 and lower 48 also replaced the bearings, mylar gasket and rear O-ring and new oil pump drive sleeve.

Quick Reply: Are my oil seals okay?