Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suitability of Nardi steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006 | 03:49 PM
ekeeton
Instructor

Default Suitability of Nardi steering wheel?

Is a wooden rim steering wheel (such as Nardi) aesthetically appropriate for an otherwise stock 944?

I like the Nardi wheel by itself, and I think it looks great in a 356 for instance, but is it from the wrong era, too "classic" for a 944?

What do you guys think?
Old 09-01-2006 | 05:20 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

By itself, I'd say that a wood wheel is too much. There's no other wood in the interior of the 944, so the wheel would be out of place.

If you're really wanting to go that route, I'd pony up a few hundred more and spring for something like the Jaeger wood dash kits. If you introduce the wood as an integral part of the interior design, that could look really nice.
Old 09-01-2006 | 06:02 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Personally, I don't like the wood steering wheels... even in the early interior cars with the wood dashes and wood on the console. They only look right (to me) on older cars. Just my opinion.... I actually thought about adding wood to the dash and console on my 924.

If you are going to add wood, go with a very dark, rich finish. Only way it would look right, to me.
Old 09-01-2006 | 08:01 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

My jaguar has a half wood and half leather stearing wheel. I hate the way the wood part feels. Plus if you autocross or track or anything...the wood gets slippery sometimes. To me you can't be a leather stearing wheel.
Old 09-02-2006 | 10:37 AM
ekeeton
Instructor

Thanks for your advice guys. I think I was just temporarily bedazzled by the looks of just the wheel. Thank you for helping bring me back to my senses. Also I'm just missing my car because it's been in the shop for a couple of weeks now.

I can see now that the wood wheel would look wrong without other wood on the dash. And although I do like the look of wood, now I'm not sure it fits the nature of the 944, which is more about performance than luxury (or pseudo-luxury). I'd have to actually see one or a picture I guess.

(I'm a newbie and just beginning to catch on to the car.)

I think I'm just going to leave well enough alone for now. My stock wheel is in good shape and they certainly don't look or feel awful. I was just thinking of adding something a little special. If I do anything later on I think I might change to the Momo Prototipo wheel.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-02-2006 | 10:45 AM
porcho heat
Pro

I actually think a black late-style dash with a wood-dash kit, matching shift **** and steering wheel would look pretty damn good.
Old 09-02-2006 | 01:10 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

I dont know why everyone like to replace the stock wheel, it is a great wheel and I dont think its worth 200-300$ to get a slightly better looking one.
my .02
Old 09-02-2006 | 01:38 PM
ekeeton
Instructor

Seb, I think it comes from my riding a scooter for too long. You get this urge to customize. Most of the cars I've owned have just been for practical reasons. But I'm beginning to have personal feelings for my 944. Gotta watch myself!

Since the car's been in the shop for the past couple of weeks, I've only been able to dream about stuff rather than actually doing something practical liike change the oil or taking something apart. Now that I've come back to my senses, I agree that the stock wheel is a nice wheel. In fact, the whole car is nice. It's hard to add much to it unless you want to prepare it for the track.

I'll be alright once I can drive it again.
Old 09-02-2006 | 01:53 PM
ekeeton
Instructor

You might be right Porcho. I'd like to see what the wood dash kit looks like installed. I don't have a very good visual imagination.
Old 09-02-2006 | 02:17 PM
porcho heat
Pro

While I posted that I searched the forums for a pic I had seen of it... No luck.

It was a black euro-spec turbo I believe, black interior with the wood grain.

Maybe someone else has the pic?
Old 09-04-2006 | 02:27 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic from when I first bought my 944... it's an original 70's wood Momo. By the time I got it the clear coat was worn through, but I still have it. I have replaced it with a newer leather model however... the rim was too thin and just a bit slippery, especially with a bit of sweaty palms in the curves...

A couple more can be found in part 1 of my needs-to-be-updated build log HERE

Old 09-04-2006 | 02:35 PM
ekeeton
Instructor

Thanks for the pics Eric. I think this removes any remaining doubt.

Quick Reply: Suitability of Nardi steering wheel?