Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More exhaust questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006 | 12:53 AM
Crunky
Pro

Default More exhaust questions...

So, I'm thinking of doing some work on the exhuast. My bro recently aquired a tubing bender, and a new welder. I was thinking of going with this Magnaflow straight-thru muffler. And a magna flow high flow cat, both 2.25 inlet and outlet, and if your too lazy to click the link, the muffler is the 4" round, 14" case length/20" overall length.
Anyone ever tried a set-up similar to this? I don't want to sound ricy, just wanna make a litle rumble, but not too much.
Oh, and its going on an '84 944.

EDIT: Oh forgot to ask, anyone know what the case dimensions are for the stock muffler? And what offsets on the inlet/outlet? Too dark and too many mosquitos to go look right now.
Old 08-31-2006 | 09:01 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

I have the same muffler in the 6" version. If you just want "a little rumble" you are definitely going the wrong way. Mine was so loud I had to add a bullet resonator right after the cat. And it's still really loud. And if your looking at the 4" version I'm sure it will be worse. I got the high flow cat too. I guess that's fine. The only difference is I upgraded to 2.5" piping.

The thing I don't like about it is that at cruising speeds of 60 MPH, it resonates inside the cabin awfully. Forget about listening to your radio. Magnaflow says it's not supposed to on their website, but when I emailed them about it they never responded.

Truthfully, I'm looking to possibly get rid of it and go with something else...either Borla or Flowmaster Delta 40. I'll probably wait until next spring though...otherwise I'd offer you mine after I pulled it off.
Old 08-31-2006 | 09:14 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I think the stock inlet and outlet is 2.25 inches but in some places (i think specifically before and after the cat) it goes down as small as 2.15 if not more. For the offsets.. you want a straight through center in and center out.

I have the Bullet muffler on my SFR cat-back. SFR says the Bullet brand is very close to design and sound of the Borla XR-1. It sounds great though..and in my opinion is not to loud. But everyone has there own tastes when it comes to whats to loud.

Matt.. i really wonder how much of a difference that high flow cat made in the sound of your car. Have you tried to do emissions with it on?
Old 08-31-2006 | 09:22 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Matt.. i really wonder how much of a difference that high flow cat made in the sound of your car. Have you tried to do emissions with it on?
I wondered that myself.

Haven't had an inspection yet with it...I think I'm due in November.

By the way...I thought you had the Borla???
Old 08-31-2006 | 11:22 AM
Crunky
Pro

Thanks guys. I'm in no hurry to do the exhasut, I keep changing my mind on what I want to do first.
You guys don't happen to have sound clips do ya?
Old 08-31-2006 | 11:27 AM
RMills944
Drifting

I had just a Magnaflow oval muffler on mine for a while, and it wasn't too loud. It just sounded too high-pitched and on the verge of ricey for me. I went with the SFR Borla system and love it, but if you don't want loud, you don't want it that either. I set off 3 car alarms at the Porsche dealer getting parts yesterday.

The SFR system is much quiter on turbos. On the N/A, it's loud.
Old 08-31-2006 | 11:33 AM
Crunky
Pro

I used to drive a Baja Bug, I'm used to loud, but as of now, the '44 is my daily driver, so I don't want it to be way loud, just a little rumble, to scare away the ricers. Also, I'm not so sure about the straight through muffler anymore, the drives to Phoenix might not be so nice if it resonates badly.
Old 08-31-2006 | 02:54 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Matt.. for some reason i actually thought i did have the Borla XR-1.. was under the rear of the car for the first time since i changed the gear oil a few weeks ago and noticed it was actually the Bullet muffler!!

Quick Reply: More exhaust questions...