Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dash Cover Vent Solution Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 274 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by SidViscous
WHat is wrong with you late model dash guys. THis thing is BEEEUTIFUL.

The price is also amazing.

This guy should be busier than a one armed paper hanger making these things.

Rob you ever thought of selling them trhough someone like Rennbay. With this and the seats I think it would generate some volume.
I've been contacted by several Porsche suppliers for the 928 and 944 but not the one mentioned. Once I provide dealer pricing, I don't hear from them again.
It could be as I suspect, the market isn't there and it doesn't justify the investment.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:45 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh thats pertty, wish i had the money for that. damn if i had all the talent of everyone on the forum put together im my little mis-shaped head, i could rule the world.... but seriously man that is amazing work. ive often toyed around with the idea of flipping my leather couch over and cutting out some leather...
Old 08-30-2006, 03:46 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

I think it's the level your going to.

Many people here have wanted something to do with their old cracked dashes. I don't know which suppliers you've used. But I think Travis (Rennbay) does a good trade on his seat kits. I'm not sure the others deal much in those kinds of things. I think they cater more to people who think Porsche Gmbh Sheet metal screws are required.

I have to think the market is out there. Us 944 guys are just mostly broke, over time I think it will happen. Particuarly as people start seeing it in person.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:53 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so how much is it just for me to install it or have it installed locally?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I really want one bad for 951. However It is far down the list of priorirtes.

Someone write me a check for 5k and I will be calling you for one as I can install that as do all the other stuff I want to do as well. Till then it is wait and wait and maybe some day. Sadly I worry that when I am ready you will be long gone and done this 944 crap. Tough really as I can't blame you if you are not selling enough to make it worth while.

951 guys are really tough. Well all want lots of cool stuff for the cars, but few are willing to spend the cash to get it.

BTW... I actually perfer the stock holes. It may be hard, but I'd much prefer the more stock look. I have hopes of one day making my 951 a mint nearly stock example. That dash is perfect addition to that. BTW given the choice would gladly spend $100 on top of the normals prrice for "stock" vents vs these modded ones. Is possible to offer both types as options?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A bit of clarification on the 944 dash projects.

I figured since I was already doing 928 dashes and I had the material and resources, doing 944 dashes wouldn't be that much different and it might justify the investment.
I didn't think there was a huge market and I was going to sell a lot of them. But I did think I'd sell enough to make it worth the time and money invested.

Between the 928 dashes, some custom work, hood liners for Porsche and some other marques, and other stuff I keep pretty busy and actually make a few bucks. The 944 dashes just didn't pan out like I thought. Apparently the market is very small and requires more time for any ROI.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by M Danger
so how much is it just for me to install it or have it installed locally?
$180 for the non air bag cover and $255 for the air bag version.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:39 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks good Rob, I've been wondering what you had in mind for this.

If anyone wants higher res pics of my leather dash that Rob did just drop me a PM with an email address. He does great work!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SidViscous
WHat is wrong with you late model dash guys. THis thing is BEEEUTIFUL.

The price is also amazing.
Face it Sid, most 944 varient owners are CHEAP. They/we all talk big talk, but when it comes time to pony up the money they/we crawl back in our little holes. Think back to the new engine wiring harness that was being fabbed up a year or so ago. Dozens of people said hell yeah, but when it came down too it probably everybody backed out of buying one.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:58 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Speak for yourself monkey boy.

I just dumped $6k on a $3k car And I did alot of re-covering (Headliner, rear calance, etc).

If Rob offered the early dash I'd buy it tomorow. Well next week when I get paid.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:06 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob M Budd
$180 for the non air bag cover and $255 for the air bag version.
thats pretty good, Can you add an embossed porsche crest over the glove box lock??

You should really go to the 951 board, alot of them dont frequent the general board as much.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say I would too, but it all depends on what we are doing to the house at any given moment, and whether or not I could hide it from my wife before I installed it

But again, look how many people said they would buy the late style dash and how few actually have.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:11 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Which is why I prodded them. I think they are holding back and Rob is taking it as low market. I think in a few years it would be come a semi regular upgrade, but enough have to buy it now to keep him going.

And damnit I want an early dash version.

Ironically I think I could actually do a decent version of covering a late dash, but an early one is impossible.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by M Danger
thats pretty good, Can you add an embossed porsche crest over the glove box lock??

You should really go to the 951 board, alot of them dont frequent the general board as much.
I don't have the stuff to do embossing, but I can embroider it something like this.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:39 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

thats cool yeah that would work, hey can you embroider the turbo logo also?

Quick Reply: New Dash Cover Vent Solution Prototype