Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque wrench ffor waterpump.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:03 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default torque wrench ffor waterpump.

Right now I just have a Craftsman beam type 0-75 ft-lb torque wrench with increments of 5 marked and a line to show 2.5 ft-lb.

I was wondiering if I can use this for my water pump bolts and the rollers etc (camshaft bolt etc) to do my timing belt service. the increments are really 5 ft-bls but there is a 2.5 ft-lb line between. I used this to tighten the 3 balance shaft support bolts so far. I also want to use it on the rolleres tensioners/ camshaft bolt.

for the 155 ft-lb cranshaft botl I will buy a large click type wrench.

Now for the wp bolts I'm not sure what to do. Do I really have to go out and pay another 80+ dollars for an inch-lb torque wrench and what does 7ft-lbs convert to in inch pounds?

Also is there anything else to know about tightening the water pump bolts/ nuts? like sequence in tightening.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:21 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think there's a sequence, so just do it whatever way makes sense to you. I start in the middle and work outward, like a cylinder head.

7 lb*ft is the same as 84 lb*in

What I do is to use my torque wrench (large click style, which only goes down to 10 lb*ft) and I fasten some random bolt somewhere to 10 lbft. Then I try tightening it a tad more, so I can feel by hand what 10lbft feels like. Then I just fasten the WP bolts with a little less torque than what the 10 felt like. Not accurate at all but it's worked on 3 cars so far.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:45 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're going to do it, get an in-lb torque wrench. A "bending beam" type can be found cheap.

These are often broken as any man can get a lot more than 6 ft-lbs on a short wrench. "Gotta make sure it doesn't come loose" followed by "CRAP!"
Old 08-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The "Gotta make sure it dosen't come loose" is followed by "Why can i not get more than 2 ft-lbs of torque on this damn bolt" THEN followed by 'CRAP!' after you realize you stripped the threads on the block .

Followed by cursing as you need to drill the hole and retap to use a Helicoil .

Thats atleast how it went when i put the oil pump on .

Sears should have a Craftsman beam type wrench.. usually only $25 i think.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I do have the craftsman beam type wrench from sears but its 0-75 ft pounds by 5 pound increments (with tiny mark between to show 2.5 ft-lbs)

so are you saying I can use this or I definately have to get a inch pound torque wrench? I have never seen a beam type inch pound torque wrench at least all the places around here.

with the beam 0-75 ft-lb it would be a guess I would just have to go a little less than 10 ft-lb, so between 5-10 ft-lb on the dial, so it wouln't be very accurate at all and all the nuts/ bolts would probably vary a bit on the torque.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

from reading FRporscheman's post it looks like using my 0-75 ft pound beam type wrench and just going between the 5 and 10 pound marks should be good enough? the threads in the block alreaddy look crappy, I"m going to try and use antiseize on the bolts also but I was worried the atiseize might get on the silcone gasket maker I'm going to use on the paper gasket and wreck it before it cures.

oh and I broke one bolt when removing the pump and I had to drill it out which was a major pain and had to cut new threads with a tap which hopefully will work (not sure if I went deep enough).
Old 08-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

from looking at clarks garage, the rollers and tensioners are tensioned to 33 ft-lb on my beam wrench I'd be able to go to 35 ft-lb. would this be a bad idea?

but looking at some of the other bolts for camshaft oil seal replacement , m6 bolts have to be torqued to 6 ft pounds, and my 0-75 pounf wrench obviously won't be very accurate.

I think I might have to buy a click type inch pound wrench.

Also not sure anymnore if my beam type 0-75 pound wrench will be okay for the rollers/ tensioners as I can't accurately get to 33 foot pound I would have to go up to 35 foot pound (if that's accurate) would I be okay? I don't want to buy 3 torque wrenches.

I will have to buy one inch pound wrench and a large 1/2 inch to do the crankshaft bolt but I'm hoping my beam wrench is okay for the rest of the bolts.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

okay I phoned, Sears, canadiantire, Napa , Lordco.

Only Lordco has an inch pound torque wrench 40-250 inch pounds and costs $106 I think or maybe it was 160 can't remember.

I think I'll have to buy this one to be safe. I will also have to buy a large one that goes over 150 ftlbs but I'm going to try and return that one as I'll only need to use it on the crank bolt and costs 90 bucks I think from canadian tire.

I think $ 106 bucks is worth not breaking the bolts or stripping threads even though I'm running low on cash after spending 1500+ so far on parts/ tools.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:58 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

How about a clicker for $20? Sure it's Harbor Freight crap, but it'd be OK.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2696

I got mine at the local "Hardware Hank" years ago.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yeah but then it'll take at least 10 days to get it. I start school next week and also work so I don't have tons of time to work on my car. Also have no garage so if it starts raining I can't work on it.

that's damn cheap though, I'll have to pay over 5 times that. so 40-250 inch pounds should be right for the water pump / m6 cam shaft oil seal bolts right?

I probably need to order the 10 mm 12 point cheesehead tool but until then I want to get the rest of the stuff on.

my water pump and other parts just came in today, got to go pick it up at the post office. I got a brand new pump from Paragon , hopefully it's a good quality pump.

my belt roller from Paragon makes noise when I put it right next to my ear and turn it back and forth, not squeeking noise but it makes noise only when you turn it back and forth but not when you turn it in one direction. I don't have time to exhange it so I'll have ot use it.

also all the new rollers spin much slower than my old ones.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

1:
I would NEVER trust a torque wrench that came from harbor freight. Of ANY type. Some tools, one should NEVER cheap out on. Much to important.

2:
1 ft lbs = 12 inch lbs. 12 inches in a foot. BASIC math. 7 ft lbs. = 7X12=84inch lbs. 2.5 ft lbs = 2.5 X12 = 30 inch lbs. Yes, you could use the 0-75lb beam craftsman for the wp. I hope it DOES show a 0 reading at rest. Do NOT ever exceed the maximum of your torque wrench by very much. It will stress it, and throw it out of tolerance, thus requiring re-certification/adjustments of values. These are suppose to be, precision tools. Learn to treat it as such, and take care of them, and they will take care of YOU.
I currently have a Proto 40-200 inch lb wrench, and a craftsman 40-150lb torque wrench. I make due with these. I wing the in-between.

3:
The most important thing (other than having a decent torque wrench) is to keep in mind, in order to GET a proper torquing value is to have all threads cleaned/chased/dry, prior to final torquing.

4:
You definately need to gain experience regarding bearings and these rollers. A new bearing/roller will spin with more effort, 'cause its "new" and not worn. The "noise" issue, is in need of more attention here. It should NOT be noisy spinning by hand. It should spin by hand, smoothly and without noise detectable at ALL. Take very close notice HERE! Its not unusual to get an inferrior bearing/roller, brand new. It CAN cost ya MUCH more, if not heeded. Elaborate more on this "noise" if ya can.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Arnnworx has some basic torque wrenches that will do in-lbs...

Arnnworx torque wrenches
Old 08-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a bad roller that made my BS belt jump off and shred inside the cover.... I was DAMN lucky it didnt jam my Timing belt up.

I replaced the tensioner for the BSbelt... never happened again.

BTW the old one made a kind of worn out brake pad shhhhshhhh ing noise... LOL
Old 08-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

like I said my craftsman beam wrench does start at 0 and goes to 75 ft lbs but it goes by increments of 5 so 0, 5, 10 so on and between these increments of 5 there is an unmarked line to show 2.5 ft lbs so to get 7 foot pounds I would have to go halfway between 5 and 10 ft lbs and this is a very small space so I wouldn't get it very accurate.

all the threads for the water pump look pretty bad, lots of corrosion and crap, I'm scared to run a m6 tap through all of them (scared of messing up the threads more )

Also should I use any kind of thread lock on the boltS?

I think I'll go buy tha $106 inch pound wrench from Lordco tomorrow, I don't want to wait another week for shipping. Hopefully it's a good quality wrench, I'll have to test it out first to make sure it clicks before using it on the water pump.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:14 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

about the roller I cannot hear any noise when just turning it. I can only hear noise when I place it right next to my ear and turn it back and fort anticlockwise - clockwise, it kind of sounds like a faint sound of crunching a plastic bagor something rubbing on grease, hard to explain but you only hear it when turning back and forth and not when turning only in one direction.

Quick Reply: torque wrench ffor waterpump.