Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any pics of the 928 rims cut to look like d90's???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 03:54 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Here is one to get this back close to topic. I think the car in this shot has 8" fronts, made from a 928 rear rim slotted out. I hope I did not get this car confused with another. If you look at the OFFSET of the front rim, it has the small concave slope near the outer rim before it bulges convex like the normal front. On a normal Turbo S 7" front it is fairly flat, just a shallow dome over the lugs. They are obviously not D90s.

Sorry i don't have a better pic handy.
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Here is one to get this back close to topic. I think the car in this shot has 8" fronts, made from a 928 rear rim slotted out. I hope I did not get this car confused with another. If you look at the OFFSET of the front rim, it has the small concave slope near the outer rim before it bulges convex like the normal front. On a normal Turbo S 7" front it is fairly flat, just a shallow dome over the lugs. They are obviously not D90s.

Sorry i don't have a better pic handy.

Dan,

I agree, those are definitely not 7" Club Sports. Unless you know the car/owner and the origin of the wheels, its not possible to tell from the picture if they are "fabricated" 8" Clubsports, or real 8" CS (the 928S4 or GT (?) came with 8 and 9" CS wheels, so they do exist but are rather rare). Possible that they are also 9"s on the front.

I have not heard of anyone cutting the manhole cover wheels to look like Clubsports, but I would think that it is possible. Cant believe that it would be cost effective. My guess is that by the time you take the value of the dish wheels, the machining costs (setup, hours, etc), and then refinishing costs, it will be more expensive than just buying a set of real CS's.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan,
Those look like either 9" wheels in front or the elusive 928 GT 8" club sport. You are correct in that they are not 7" in front
Old 08-25-2006, 05:15 PM
dietsch
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Devek has experimented with cutting the 928 flat dish wheel to look like a Clubsport. You can tell the difference between a real one and a cut one by looking at the thickness of the wheel near the cut area.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:51 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

I know the owner of that car, albeit casually. We talked about the wheels and he told me they were machined 8" 928 wheels. Close inspection revealed the unusual finish where worked. He donated a gift cert to the 'Fest from his company "flat 6 restoration" (or something like that)
Old 08-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Fastest928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have plenty of S and S4 rims cut via cnc to look like GT rims.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:39 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If any one is interested I have a set of genuine 7 x 16" clubsports available. Have some cosmetic blems but are true.
Email me if interested & I'll send pics.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:13 PM
GaryK
Racer

Yup, the wheels on the car at the Fest were previously mine. The rears are the original 9" from my car; the fronts are 8" 928 rims machined by Devek. I used this setup on the track many times with 245/45s all around, and had no problems with the machined fronts (although I think a 265 rear, 245 front Victoracer setup would have been ideal).

Here's a close-up pic of the machined 928 wheels, where you can notice the slots have been cut. As dietsch said, the 928 wheels are a bit thicker near the slots than the orignal ClubSports, although it's difficult to tell from the angle of this pic.

Gary
'89 951
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2006, 11:17 PM
959Lover
Racer

Wow people, thanks for all the info! So I should be able to tell the difference (side-by-side comparison) by the depth of the metal near the slots?

Someone on the VW forum also mentioned: "clubsports have a little bit of dish to them and the 7 slots are pretty darn flat." ----------Is this true? And what does it mean to be like a 'dish'? I'm a newbie when it comes to wheels and such, so I apologize for ignorance.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:12 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

959 - Your friends tell the truth. The original equipment 7" front Club Sport is not only very flat, it is actually convex. When you drop on of these gems face down on the driveway, the center hits first! Incredible 65 mm offset. The 9" rears are 60mm offset and have a dished concave surface near the bead. Posters here are on the money. An 8" "manhole cover" slotted wheel can be cosmestically milled to resemble a Club Sport and give you an extra inch of wheel for wider front tires. Some 951 race cars run 9" Club Sports all around, but the inside fit on the front is VERY tight and some mods to the struts are needed to pull off this trick.

Just my taste expressed here, but as an owner of an early offset 85.5 racer and an 89 Turbo S street car, I think it's a shame that the improved brakes and suspension requirements of later 944/951 cars resulted in the loss of the deep dish look of earlier 944's and 911's. We're all like little ducks, I fear, imprinted to the looks that first caught out automotive eyes...and as a sports car racing fan in the late sixties and early seventies I got programmed to/enamoured with that black center, shiny bead look like the old McLaren Can Am cars.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:59 PM
dodondo
Track Day

Both the front 7'' and the rear 8'' wheels are from 928's Flat dish wheel... My only intention is to lighten the wheel weight to take advantage of my semi-custom LSD that I stalled after several track days without a LSD and heavy wheels. Being an ME (Mechanical Engineer) who love to tinker and drive, I cut those 928's wheels not to prove anything nor imitate anything. Sorry if I may have offended any of the Porsche purists/fanatics...

Steve (KULH) Thanks again for the great drive last year, I'll will try to make it this year, if I get invited, and if people not posting my car license plate on a public forum.

Rennist is a great site and I have met great members whom all have passion for cars and safe/better driving skills. My intention is to meet, learn and exchange ideas from people who's been there, and done that to improve myself, nothing else matters. PLease PM me for all direct inquiries or ideas.

Mike
Old 08-27-2006, 08:19 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Don't worry Mike, those likely most offended live over there in the gold chain and deck loafer forum. Are the 928 style manhole cover slotted wheels cast or forged?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:48 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Mike, I'm glad you're still hanging out here on Rennlist. I hope to see you on one of the coming runs, because your car is awesome. I love the color, the wheels, the custom work you did with the wiring, etc.

How did you cut the wheels? I assume, since you're a ME, you have easy access to a machine shop...

Custom LSD?

Ashkan - go tell those VW guys they're on crack if they think you can't cut 928 wheels to look like CS wheels. Also, tell them to stop being posers by putting Porsche wheels on their VWs.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:35 AM
dodondo
Track Day

Long story on the LSD! In short, differrent thickness of friction materials. As for the wheel, all the works were done by hand (with hand tools). My goal was to reduce wheel weight since I now use 245 instead of 225 tires, and to keep total rotational mass the same or less and yet more rubber contact

Mike
Old 08-28-2006, 04:45 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool - I was wondering if this could be done by hand, since it would be cheaper, and make for a fun project. What kind of tools? I have all kinds of power tools like grinders, drills, sanders, dremel, etc. And the basic stuff like files, chisels, etc. It seems to me a grinder or dremel would work best, with a file to finish off the edges. I want to do this to my dad's 928's wheels.

Quick Reply: Any pics of the 928 rims cut to look like d90's???