Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is 100% happy with their new Shift Boot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 PM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by McFly944
Good to hear about AGLA, I am going to be buying 2 in the near future.

How does it compair to the factory boot?
The only difference to me is the the AGLA boot's seems are slightly larger. You will feel the seem a little more than the original one.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:49 PM
simmomi
Pro

AGLA...personally, not very satisfied.

Rather than reusing my existing shifter, I paid extra to get the boot with a new shifter already installed. Mistake. This one makes noise (transmission noise?), and the boot itself doesn't seem to fit very well. Almost seems too short in one area.

I'd like to take my original shifter and have a local upholstery shop replace the leather on it.

Anyone want to buy the AGLA? It might be for sale at some point.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:03 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

My experience with AGLA was not positive either. I waited a very long time to receive my boot, despite constant assurances that it would 'ship tomorrow'. Once I received it, the quality was not what I was expecting. I ordered a custom boot and arm rest cover in champagne to match my seats. The boot color match wasn't bad but the dye started flaking off within a week. The armrest color match wasn't even close and while they eventually replaced it, that took several weeks as well.

On a MUCH more positive note, Rob Budd, who made my leather dash cover also made a new shift boot for me. He made a pattern from my original stock boot and will be offering them for sale here and on Ebay. This is not a solution if you need to replace the leather on your stock **** but if you have an aftermarket **** or can reuse your stock **** like me then it's definitely worth considering. Not sure on pricing, I imagine it'll be in the same range as the Jaeger boots, $75 or so but please don't hold Rob to that. Pics of the new boot:
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Daily944
Racer

That looks very nice!
Old 08-25-2006, 01:08 AM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

Greg - That's 2 boots? Did you just cut the bottom of the black one off? I don't think that large fold would be comfortable when I gripped the ****. Does it get in your way?

I would also recommend not having AGLA do any of the work. There's no reason you can't do it yourself.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:22 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

The leather on my stock **** was in good shape so I just used some Leatherique black dye to freshen it up. The boot I got from Rob is the champagne leather part. I haven't really noticed the fold, must be the way I grip the ****. (That sounded bad, didn't it?) I could actually move the location of the fold down a little further on the ****, I'm still experimenting with fitment as this is a prototype.

Also, Rob is going to move the single seam to the front of the boot so that it's less obvious.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn greg, do you post a picture of your beautiful dash whenever you get the chance?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:03 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Damn greg, do you post a picture of your beautiful dash whenever you get the chance?
Hey now, the pic is of the boot, only just a little of the dash. I will admit to pimping Rob's work, but only 'cuz it's really, really good stuff.

And ok, I might run my hand across the dash occassionally and make cooing noises too...

BTW, how do you like my new little alloy **** covers?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:10 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate you... with extreme jealousy. I saw those, and they are tight like a tiger!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:09 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a wheel skins boot and love it! Like someone else mentioned, I think that some may get frustrated with the installation and rush things but if you take the time it is one of the best looking ones you can get. I have a seen several other brands and the make the leather too short so it doesn't have that nice leather "pillow look" around the bottom. The others have been so short that when you shift into gears the leather tightens and pops the boot frame out of the console.

BTW I have had mine for 2-3 years worth of use and it still looks fantastic! My dad's car has had his in used for 4-5 and still looks good also.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:07 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

To clarify, my AGLA boot is the 1-piece type that is secured by the pattern insert on the top... and I've had it in the car for 3-4 years now... brown color, wearing very nicely, feels great. Also, on the wheel - I think the fit and quality of the cover is great, it's just my bad install...
Old 08-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

Here's my vote for AGLA...color match was near perfect and installation was very straightforward. I just did the boot leather - not the entire ****. I agree with "skip the glue"...it wasn't necessary. I also added the aftermarket gear pattern insert on my 968. I will be doing the same thing on the 944. Here are before and after pics:

http://www.968forums.com/index.php?s...53&#entry20953

- Darryl
Old 08-25-2006, 01:08 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

AGLA!

I did have a fittement problem with the first one as it was too small and would pop out when I shifted. But I got another and it works just fine. The only problem is they take a bit long to create one outside of their standard colors.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:11 PM
njwilser
Instructor

I recently bought one from APPBIZ. They sell on E-bay and have a website.

http://www.appbiz.com/index.php?cPat...1d798686a42760

Boot fit well. Was a bit tricky getting the shift cap back on. I called the number on the site and the service was outstanding. The guy gave me the E-Bay price which was around $25 bucks and only charged me like $2 shipping. I did notice that the finish was odd after a heat wave this summer and the leather down in the folds was sticky. It washed up well w/ soap and water and it is still 95% perfect. I'm not sure if the grade of leather could not take the intense summer heat in the closed car, or whether I spilled something on it.

For the price, excellent and reccomended.
Probably not in the same league as the AGLA, but I think a fraction of the $$.

Mike
Old 08-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Ive bought shift boots from this guy two times. Pretty good, although you have to modify the bottom elastic a bit for a perfect fit. Cheap too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: Who is 100% happy with their new Shift Boot?