Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch light / wiring question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006 | 07:53 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Hatch light / wiring question...

When my hatch light is set to come on, automatically, upon opening hatch, it will only work when the passenger side door is open. First off, does one of the doors have to be opened w/the hatch to make the light come on...? If so, why? Can this easily be modded so that I could open the hatch & have the light come on w/both doors closed? Anyway, as it is, the driver side door can be open & it still won't come on, w/out the passenger door being opened too.

In my never-ending quest to reduce weight, I considered removing it, since it's pretty insignificant. Of course, it's also a very insignificant amount of weight & would probably leave an ugly hole, so I'm going to leave it in. I would just like to have it functioning correctly if possible...? It appears that one wire is unhooked & I'm wondering if this is the prob...? It looks like a ground, but whatever the case, I can't find anywhere for it to connect. Please see the pics below- the wire hanging loose is the one, obviously... The other one just shows the SR motor & I don't see anything there that it would (or would make sense to) connect too.

thanks...
Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2006 | 11:00 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

No, the light should come on with the doors closed and just the hatch open. Only reason I know is I was going to flip my license plate holder so it would hold the plate higher, had the hatch open and noticed the light.

would probably leave an ugly hole,
but a small piece of carpet would cover that up nicely. I haven't found that light to be really helpful, myself.
Old 08-23-2006 | 11:02 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

I'd like to know the answer to that as well. Mine turns on when I open either door, but not when I open just the hatch. In my car the brown wire in your picture was connected to the second tab right next to the first one it's connected to. Basicaly a long jumper to connect the two tabs together.

I have no idea if that's the right place for it, but that's where it was when I cleaned up all the connectors to get the light to work.

Quick Reply: Hatch light / wiring question...