Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do after removing rear seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Crunky
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do after removing rear seat

Ok, so I started removing my rear seat bottom a couple months ago, I just let it stay there glued in. I recently saw another post about removing the seat bottom, and it kinda inspired me to finish the job. I just now peeled the rest of the bottom out, I was wondering what I can do to make it not look so tacky, I still have all my carpet in place, should I remove the hatch area carpet/padding, and remove the carpet that goes around the wall, ya know the carpet that is underneath all of the plastic trim? If I decide to do that, how hard is it to take all that trim off, and then put it back on? Do you think it would look wierd with the carpet just stopping halfway through the car?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:20 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm about done with my rear seat delete/package tray project. I stripped all that baby snot glue and felt and applied Nuprene insulation glued to the seat buckets/facings and rear deck. Over that I put double foil-faced sound deadener with carpet topping it all off. I stripped the seat back to bare wood on the front side and re- upholstered/carpeted it to mount my amps. This all folds down like before to a new package tray set-up to store cameras, etc. The car is considerably quieter from the rear and I still am working my way forward of the B-pillars. It shouild really cut down on the heat gain also near the tunnel floorboard areas.

Taking the sill trim and mouldings is easy. Removing the seats is about the hardest part. Just be careful not to pull the carpet too hard where Porsche spot glued it to the padding. BTW: Xylene removes those glue residues better than anything I've found yet.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Crunky
Pro

Oooh, that sounds nice, unfortunatly, this car will be stripped almost bare, I plan on making it a Auto-x/ some track/ street sweeper NA. But for now its also my daily driver, else I'd be inclined to do exactly what you desribed. I'm wondering about something temporary that I would't mind tearing back out in a few months.
I'm thinking I'll just shine the paint up a bit inside and leave it untill its time to strip 'er down. I'd love to see pics of your set-up when its done.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:03 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

for a track car i would strip it all down to the paint. i used asitone to remove the glue. then just hit it with a shopvac.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

My plan is to head to the craft/fabric store and get some industrial felt. I'll pull out the big carpet in the cargo area and put the felt down all the way through over where the rear seats are. I'm thinking sort of the RS look that 911s have. My car is still street legal so I'm not keen on ripping all the carpets out (yet).
Old 08-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Crunky
Pro

Hmmm, how hard is felt to cut into the shape of the rear hatch? How much $$ per sq. foot, and how durable is it? That may be a good choice for me if it isn't too expensive, I'll just redo all the rear carpet with felt to match the exterior.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:32 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

I had a PM asking about the double foil-faced padding. This is where I got my vinyl and carpet also.

http://perfectfit.com/product.asp?Pr...9&l1=15269&l2=
Old 08-16-2006, 11:39 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crunky
Hmmm, how hard is felt to cut into the shape of the rear hatch? How much $$ per sq. foot, and how durable is it? That may be a good choice for me if it isn't too expensive, I'll just redo all the rear carpet with felt to match the exterior.
I have no idea. I haven't really begun looking into it. I figure I can rip out a bunch of carpet, replace with felt glued down and hit the track. The rest of the carpet I will dye to match. This car is no looker by any means. I can't believe I let myself drive it.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Crunky
Pro

Haha, good point. I don't know why I'm so paranoid about appearance. Don't get me wrong, my car doesn't look that bad on the exterior, except for the sunroof has a huge patch of exposed fibre glass, and the stupid rear light bar lense is faded. But the interior is already pretty bad. The dash is cracked like the grand canyon, the dash cap is even cracked and faded , and the carpet is pretty much destroyed from the leaking clutch master and bad heater core. If I'm going to make this a serious competition car, than I may as well start gutting the interior, I'm going to do it in the future anyways.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:00 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know for sure, but I have heard some people say that removing the rear seat without putting any sort of foam underneath will lead to excessive road noise, so you may want to take that into consideration

That being said, I'm considering taking my rear seat out and replacing it with some foam/carpet soon (don't know how soon as I'm going to be dropping about 2 grand on the clutch replacement tomorrow or friday)
Old 08-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Old 08-17-2006, 12:34 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

That last pic looks vaguely familiar.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Crunky
Pro

Damn, is the road noise really that loud with no foam or anything that you need that much foam? Maybe I should have wiated on tearing it out, until I was ready to finish gutting the inside anyways. Oh well, I'll find out tomorrow when I go to work. Guess it can't be that bad, I'm used to it after driving my Baja Bug as a daily driver for almost a year.
And yours is coming along nicley Kuhl, I almost wish I had kept this one as a daily driver to do that to, actually I was thinking of making one side an ice chest, and using the other as a sub enclosure and amp rack.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

I used that much foam to get the right contour for the carpet.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:57 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crunky
Damn, is the road noise really that loud with no foam or anything that you need that much foam? Maybe I should have wiated on tearing it out, until I was ready to finish gutting the inside anyways. Oh well, I'll find out tomorrow when I go to work. Guess it can't be that bad, I'm used to it after driving my Baja Bug as a daily driver for almost a year.
LOL-Road noise is subjective. I drove mine with everything from the B-pillars back stripped off before I started the conversion. It was like riding in the a military transport. The noise was so bad it would have driven me crazy. I could hear the transaxle and rear tires like they were in the passenger seat. I'm aiming for lightweight cush not a track setup. In a track car you have a helmet to mute a lot of the higher frequency noise and resonance. I bet the Nuprene glued down to all metal would help you lose 10dB and it's fire retardant which is a plus. Most all aircraft rated materials are fire rated so that's a real plus in a track car. You could cover all the seat buckets and rear deck with less than 5 lbs; it's really light and only an 1/8" thick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NUPRE...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: What to do after removing rear seat