Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil seal questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil seal questions.

I just replaced the top balance shaft seal/ O ring / mylar seal. I know clarks directions say to use a socket about the same size of the seal to push it in but that would have to be a pretty huge socket, I don't think I can find one that big. I just used my fingers to push the seal in (lubed it will motor oil) and because of this one side popped in first then i had to push in the other side, hopefully that doesn't damage the seal.

Also one more questions, I haven't removed the lower balance shaft support housing (also attaches to power steering pump) and i'm not sure what has to be removed to get it off. Pics/ diagrams would help. I'll look at it tomorrow it might be obvious.

my mylar seals don't seem completely flat, the surface has wrinkled and raised spots, I was worried this may cause a proplem but probaby not.

sorry one more question (I made another thread with no replies). I'm not sure in what order the thermostat parts go into the pump for the turbo water pump.

is this the correct order, 1) black seal that you push into the water pump 2.)thermostat goes in (has a rubber seal attached around it. 3) large washer goes on top of thermostat 4) last one snap ring goes on top.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were pushing in the seal with your fingers and straightened it out with your fingers, it is unlikely that you damaged the rubber part of the seal. Sometimes the spring inside that seal can pop out if it gets really out of line though. If the spring has popped out then the seal will not have any force holding the sealing edge onto the shaft. It all depends how far out of line it got. I have never knocked that spring out unless I was using a hammer and socket on the seal. Fingers dont have enough force to knock it out I dont think.

When I removed the lower balance shaft housing, I just removed it complete with the power steering pump still on it. Its a bit heavier and more awkward to get back on the car with the pump on there but I got it on just fine. One tidbit of info about that lower housing, there is a bolt holding it on from the backside closer in to the motor than the power steering pump. So there are bolts on the front and one in the rear side. I didnt find that bolt right away and it took a minute to find it when the housing would not come off.

Quick Reply: Oil seal questions.