Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anderson Motorworks anyone used them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's always been a turbo. They can be modified in a number of flavors -2.7, 2.8, 3.0 liter - you name it.

OTOH there's not much modification you can do to a 944S2 before tearing it up like the supercharged cab that Huntley did and ended up eBaying a few years ago.

Sounds like you're on the right track!
Old 08-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
I dunno, its not like its a diamond or anything, its just a low milleage 944. I'd rather have a very nice very modded car, then a mediocre, very modded car... Think of DFASTEST's car, and how everyone drools not only over his engine, but the rest of the car. With the right work, and the right buyer, you will not effect the value. I know a guy that had a built NA motor putting out 220whp, and he sold it for over 10K. You bought the car to enjoy, so enjoy it for yourself, not for the forum. Mod it if you want to!
Agreed, and check out Powerhaus (where DFASTEST951 had his upgrades done) for the modifications you were thinking of. Once you get the actual cost of having the upgrades done right, you will likely consider a 951 instead.

If you are itching to do some wrenching, how about starting to build a 3.1L (or whatever the max displacement is) turbo engine with a “stand alone” engine management system in anticipation of a later 951 purchase (or maybe swap it with your S2 engine). Talk to Chris White about that.

Laust
Old 08-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

reality is there are few things that can be done to a S2 without incurring great expense. it is just plain cheaper to start with a 951.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:50 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wade B
then the other one kicks in and....BAM!......you're off.......mad hooker torque!!!
We missed you at the Fest man!!! Classic Wade quote...
Old 08-13-2006, 03:48 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the neighborhood a few weeks back, the space is empty, sign gone, and cars cleared. It's hard to believe the site is still up!
Old 11-30-2006, 02:11 AM
B Hayes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default John Anderson - Anderson Motorworks - AMW

Its been a while since visiting rennlist, saw the thread name..... just had to leave a message for anyone considering Anderson Motorworks. Although recently I was informed they are closing their doors, it seems they still retain a website for some odd reason. I went to a PCA event in San Diego this past weekend, heard the great news they were shutting the doors.

John is a low as they get regarding ethics and work quality (in my opinion). I am one who was burned along with Dave and countless others. I will never forgive the SOB. He rebuilt my motor and didnt honor a warranty (even seen on his website), my 951 remians parked. It burned more oil after the rebuild than it did before.... thanks John. In addition, the oil pan gasket blew out 5 days after I picked the car up and I had to take it to Hergesheimer Motorsports (local) to repair it. John said he would repay me even before taking it to another shop, but never came through. That was in addition to my scored cylinder wall of course. In my opinion, this guy is as bad as it gets. I dont think he knows what truth is, and should not be allowed to work on cars for money.

I'm sure someday he will surface again.... unfortunately. I wonder what happened to his buddy who was once president of AMW, Neil Wright?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:22 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was that the "mideastmafia" guy? What ever happened to him?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to partially agree and partially disagree with what's been said. If you absolutely feel you MUST modify your car, KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL PARTS. If you ever want to resell the car, you'll thank me. Aftermarket modifications, no matter how good or supposedly how coveted they are will NEVER make you money. Ever. Most parts lose about 80% of their value the instant you bolt them on - regardless of whether you use them or not. If you later unbolt them and sell them standalone off the car you'll get some of that value back, but if you think "gee, I spent $5,000 (or whatever) on my car, so I can justify asking an additional $5,000 in price", you're an idiot. You'll be lucky to get an extra grand - if that - and in some cases will even get less than base price because a lot of prospective buyers look at aftermarket parts as either (1) a sign the car has been beat on/raced/abused or (2) a sign of future trouble (potential smog/legal issues, theft magnet, difficult to source or replace if/when they break in the future, etc.) So it limits your prospective pool of buyers too. Just something to keep in mind.

Modded 951s are dime-a-dozen. There's really nothing all that special about 'em and frankly I've seen 350+ HP 951s go for little more than stock 951s of the same vintage, conditions and mileage being about equal. You gotta' pay to play and if you want to mod a 951, do so at your expense, enjoy it, and don't ever count on seeing a dime back once you hand it over to so-and-so vendor. You won't.

With regards to low-mileage specimens, I have to agree that it's tragic to hack up or modify or otherwise screw with a good-condition, low mileage car like the S2 above. Despite what people say, these cars ARE appreciating in value, although slowly. They're not 911s, but they're not 1983 Hyundai Excels either. They do have a certain amount of collectable value and speaking for myself, I'd MUCH rather spend $15k on a low-mileage, good condition, unmolested specimen than the same amount (or even lower) on a modded one. The only mods I want are ones I've done myself, because frankly that's the only person I trust. If I buy someone else's mods, I could very well be buying shoddy workmanship, half-assed installation, etc. How really do I know otherwise? An exception might be a car from someone you know, another might be one that you do EXTENSIVE inspection of before purchase, but generally if someone else has f*cked with it, I'm not especially interested.

And as quick as an S2 is, get a 951. Trust me. You can modify it for relatively little cost and go a LOT faster than the S2 ever will - and it's built for it. The repository of knowledge on 951 modifications is far more extensive than for S2s (you won't have any problem getting support or tips), the availability of parts (modifcations and stock) for 951s is far more extensive, etc. If you want a modded car that handles like a dream, goes fast and that you can (and will) tinker with, a 951 is the ticket. If you want a pretty quick, good looking, classy car - keep the S2 or get a 928. If you want raw, seat-of-the-pants excitement and the unique rasp of a flat-six, get a 911. If you want something fun to cruise around in with the top down and just enjoy the hell out of life in, get a Boxster. They all have something to offer and although you certainly CAN make one of the vehicles excel in a category or niche other than the one for which it was intended, it is very difficult and expensive to do. Take this from a guy that is turboing an early 944. . . Yes you can do it, yes the results will be spectacular, but it most certainly is not cheap and it's a LOT of work.

Get a 951. Geez, they're not that hard to find.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:10 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG
Was that the "mideastmafia" guy? What ever happened to him?
No, "mideastmafia" is "SHAWN" and that is another person entirely.

Quick Reply: Anderson Motorworks anyone used them?