Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

euro plates on a 944 NA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I can say that in Cali .... it's a no-no

I routinely get "Barney Fife" coming up behind me thinking I swam the car across the big pond and slapped a fake cali plate on it, and they run it, then they pull in front of me to see if there is a front one.

Yet new VW's & BMW's get away with it

Don

Last edited by Don 944 LA; 03-04-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Dasota
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice that everyone's european style plates are german plates.. On the far left side of the plate, there's a letter D for Deutschland (Germany). Every country has their own initials. Italy is ITL, France F, Poland PL Sweden S.. Above the abbreviation is the European Union symbol, 12 golden stars. Americans in the military serving in Europe get european plates as well. These have a NATO Star (similar to a compass rose) instead of the european union symbol, and USA. Also next to that is a badge that says, "Streitkräfte der vereinigten staaten von amerika in Deutschland." Military forces of the United States of America in Germany. Asides from that, everything else is the same.

I think it would make the european style plates more unique if it were say, an american Flag and USA instead of the european union symbol and Deutschland.. has anyone seen any plates made like this in the states? I plan on bringing my porsche back to the states with me eventually, and would also like to keep european style plates, since that's all that fits. If I do that, though, I'd rather have USA on my plates rather than D for Deutschland, since I'd be in America.. it makes more sense to me. Or perhaps I'm being picky?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasota
If I do that, though, I'd rather have USA on my plates rather than D for Deutschland, since I'd be in America.. it makes more sense to me. Or perhaps I'm being picky?
No offense, but I think the "idea" behind the German Euro plates in the U.S. is largely to give the cars a more authentic and exclusive look, since Porsche, BMW, etc., are German marques. When was the last time you saw a Lexus with imitation Euro plates in the U.S.?

If you want a license plate with a more American flavor, well, you already have 50 to choose from, depending on where you live. Isn't that enough?
Old 08-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Dasota
Advanced

I considered that idea, but what I personally like about the plates is the long slender shape.. and plus, the short american plates don't fit on my car. Asides from that, I'm not saying people are wrong for having german euro plates in the states, just so no one's confused. Everyone has their own personal taste, and mine would be having USA on mine when I take my car back to the states. But also what I'm asking is if the plates you all order in the states only come as German plates, or if you can get them customized with USA instead of D?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, that would be like asking if you could get a U.S. vanity plate with "Germany" or "France" on it. Of course anything is possible on a vanity plate and I guess the fake Euro plate supplier could squeeze "USA" somewhere in there but I still don't see the point or appeal in that?

It's a Euro plate, why would you want to turn it into an American plate?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:01 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hockeydude
zehnd, could you possably show some more pics? it looks alot cleaner than i had expected. what did you place in between the plate and the painted section of your bumper?
Made a bracket myself and drilled right into the plate and used some white license plate bolts to hold the plate on. Don't mind the bugs we have alot up here.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:07 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

looks awesome. i may have to go to the local hardware store and make one for myself!

Quick Reply: euro plates on a 944 NA?