Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally pulled my dash out. Pics too

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 PM
dean944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally pulled my dash out. Pics too

Well it's just a bit too hot here to ride home from work without a/c so I decided to tear the interior out and change it to black/tan rather the fuggly brown. I have used vinyl paint in the past with good results so I decided to try it on dash and door panels, and all trim. So far all looks good.

I wound up pulling the dash to die it rather masking everything off. Pulling the dash wasn't bad at all. I needed to pull all ***** and misc. switches anyway to clean them and die the face bezels. Im also going to contact "redash" to get a quote on a new vinyl dash cover. Looks nice and it would be easy to install while I have my dash dismounted.

Im working on getting the a/c parts while I have the interior removed. The early a/c parts are quite a bit more expensive over the late 944s.

Any suggestions on replacements or cleaning to the dash frame or wiring while the dash is out? Now's the time.

Door panels completed:

Original interior- Brown
Old 08-08-2006, 12:54 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Do l ittle Black Face on the gauges. The Instrument cluster, and the cener console. Flat black. Looks much much better.

My Dash Looks EXACTLY like your right now, sans AC business. Oh and Call Travis up and get some seat covers for that thing.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:58 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd recommend going after the grounds up behind the fusebox, assuming they're the same as in the 924. Corrosion up there can cause odd intermittent electrical issues, including bad gauge readings (low oil pressure, high temp, low fuel), and there's never a better time to get at them. Should be 2 or 3 rings of spade connectors spot-welded to the body, with almost an infinite number of brown ground wires going to them...
Old 08-08-2006, 01:36 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Buy new heater core hoses and replace them. Nothing like being stranded because you can't replace a blown hose without pulling the dash.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:36 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

The door panel looks terrific! What products did you end up using?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:37 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Listen to Yelloline, he's absolutely right.

When you order it, get one for an 84 Jetta because it will be les than 1/2 the price.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:40 PM
dean944
Racer

I suppose your talking about the hoses from heater core to the fire wall? Possibly goes all the way to the heater valve and return metal rail? Sounds like a great idea to me. Glad I asked the guestion for sure now.

Allan, I used the Krylon vinyl paint sold at Wally World. I had used it on the aftermarket dash cap several months ago and it worked fabulous. I figured it would work even better on the interior trim and dash. The dash is painted and ready to have the cracks (many) filled. Then Im going to (if the $ isn't too bad) install a "redash" soft vinyl cover (factory new look) over it. The factory look cover was the plan before I painted it, but I was curious how well the vinyl paint would look on a large area like the dash. The areas where the dash was in good shape, mostly the front facing area, looks like it came black originally. The areas that were full of cracks and warped bad, still look bad but "You can't polish a terd". I like the satin finish too, looks like it's armorall'd all the time without the slick surface.

I'll post a pic of the painted dash tonight if anyone cares to see.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:58 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Hmmmm, never thought of using the Fusion paint - I love using on plastic though. My friend dyed his brown vinyl in his 924 black using SEM dye, little pricey but works flawlessly.

Quick Reply: Finally pulled my dash out. Pics too