Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing cars on twisted roads - 944S2 vs 951. Best method in S2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:32 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

dont think i wont do it, son.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Dasota
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I wonder how the general population would do if they had to retake the written driver's test again, after having driven for so many years.. it's all those minor details that'll get you. Might be a capable and safe driver, but how well do we all really know the laws?

That aside, I wish I had a cop to sweet talk my way out of a ticket with. You just see a red flash out of the corner of your eye (speed camera) and get it in the mail a month later over here. In the states, I've been pulled over twice. Once for a light being out, the other for speeding... (Oh Ofishur, I swear, I'm so used to german speed laws, I forgot how fast you could go ) I have yet to get flashed over here, but I know it'll happen sooner or later. They'll hide cameras in "broken down" cars pulled over on the side of the road, or stick them on tripods right next to the guard rail so it looks a part of it.. sneaky bastards...
Old 08-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The speed cameras here in Europe are mostly radar activated (Multinova model). I usually track them down with my V1 radar detector with decent results. Warning is short, but at least you get a warning.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Dasota
Advanced

Hmmmm, this radar detector you speak of.. it's legal in europe? By the way, how fast over the speed limit do you have to be going for the camera to flash you? I haven't figured that one out yet.. don't really care to find out first hand
Old 08-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Darkhare
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlueDog944
Proper way is to back way off the car you are planning on passing (give yourself at least twice the "proper" following distance.) Plan your move far in advance. When you see an opportunity start to open up you can then start rolling on the throttle so that by the time you catch up to the car being passed and ready to step out into the left lane you have already brought your vehicle up to passing speed. You don't want to have to be trying to power it up in the left lane as well as watching the car you are passing, the traffic in front of you and behind you.

Very well said.. I've noticed my friends failing to plan their moves (passes) ahead of time.. It's frustrating for me to watch someone not think before acting.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:01 AM
NEAL WRIGHT
Instructor

Intersting responses about the S2. I just picked up a 1990 Cabriolet and I've never driven one before. It's getting some work now and should be on the road within a few days.

I think it's somewhat unique since it's silver with dark blue leather, a dark blue top, and lsd tranny. Haven't looked at any production numbers yet. Should be fun to drive. I'm looking forward to the low end torque.

I've got plenty of top end in my "other" car!
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Darkhare
Intermediate

^if that's your "other" car, i would kill to be you! damn. (i'd say i'd give up my right leg to have that car, but then i wouldn't be able to drive it )
Old 08-10-2006, 02:47 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK fellas, I tried redlining the S2 over twisted roads again yesterday and sure enough, it works!

Interestingly enough, the top end is a lot broader than I expected and you can really get on the pedal and make the engine scream making decent acceleration before you hit the red area.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Passing cars on twisted roads - 944S2 vs 951. Best method in S2?