Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing cars on twisted roads - 944S2 vs 951. Best method in S2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:13 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You make me think back about my S4 now, in that car the problem was not how to pass but rather how to get back in your lane, by the time you've passed two or three cars you're doing 200km+ while the cars in your lane are going 100 to 120km/h.

Before anybody tells me I'm a risk on the road let me assure you I'm not. Here in SA we have plenty long open roads where you can see far enough ahead to pass more than one car at a time.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i swear i pass people every drive to and from work. One lane roads taht have a 50mph speed limit really suck. because i swear every drive i gegt stuck behind someone doing 45. and there is only a few passing zones so i sit there a mile trying not to strangle myself until it comes.

I have never had a problem passing people in my non turbo, non s 944.. although it is usually straights that youc an see far. and i've probably only once passed more than one car.

THE WORST ONES are the ones that go 40 up every hill and randomly everywhere else and then end up going 60 when the passing zones come, just by chance, not on purpose i don't think.

Question, is it illegal to pass more than one car at a time when it is a single lane road? I always wondered this. And what kind of speed are you allowed (by law) to get around?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:25 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

redline it in 2nd and 3rd while passing and waving bye,bye.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazy Spanish drivers!

Definitely low-gear and redline for NA vehicles. It's a Porsche -- it likes redlining.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Makis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also on a twisting road you may overtake by sitting back first and at a suitable opportunity advance quickly towards the car in front, then just before comitting to overtake check to see if it is still OK to do it and then go for it. If not, abort. In this way you will have enough momentum to overtake in time safely.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aribop
redline it in 2nd and 3rd while passing and waving bye,bye.
Yes, you've driven here. You know what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by Makis
Also on a twisting road you may overtake by sitting back first and at a suitable opportunity advance quickly towards the car in front, then just before comitting to overtake check to see if it is still OK to do it and then go for it. If not, abort. In this way you will have enough momentum to overtake in time safely.
Pretty much sums up the technique I try to follow. Just a bit tricky in a car with a little less punch than the 951. Redline, here I come...
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Question, is it illegal to pass more than one car at a time when it is a single lane road? I always wondered this. And what kind of speed are you allowed (by law) to get around?
The last California Highway Patrol to give me a speeding ticket informed me that the posted maximum speed limit is the maximum limit, it is to be obeyed even when passing.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:24 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trucho-951
The last California Highway Patrol to give me a speeding ticket informed me that the posted maximum speed limit is the maximum limit, it is to be obeyed even when passing.
See, that's different here. Generic limit on most roads is 100 km/h but you can exceed it by up to 20 km/h when passing.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:25 AM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Also, AFAIK, the international standard is yellow is advisory, and white is mandatory. Thus, a double yellow can be crossed to pass, and/or a yellow speed limit sign (typically found in corners) can be ignored - at one's peril, of course. However, a white speed limit sign is the legal limit, and a solid white line cannot be crossed (except for left turns, of course) - unless you want to incur the possibility of a ticket.

I realize everybody (at least in North America) gets taught to never pass on a double yellow, but everybody also gets taught to slow down for corners.

YMMV. Some jurisdictions will give a "careless driving" or "reckless driving" charge for ignoring yellow signs/double yellow lines.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:41 AM
BlueDog944
Pro

Originally Posted by baldheadracing
Also, AFAIK, the international standard is yellow is advisory, and white is mandatory. Thus, a double yellow can be crossed to pass, and/or a yellow speed limit sign (typically found in corners) can be ignored - at one's peril, of course. However, a white speed limit sign is the legal limit, and a solid white line cannot be crossed (except for left turns, of course) - unless you want to incur the possibility of a ticket.

I realize everybody (at least in North America) gets taught to never pass on a double yellow, but everybody also gets taught to slow down for corners.

YMMV. Some jurisdictions will give a "careless driving" or "reckless driving" charge for ignoring yellow signs/double yellow lines.
Not sure if you are saying it's ok to pass on double yellows or not. In the U.S. it is NEVER legal to cross the double yellow line.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait...are you serious? ill ask the cop that sits in my neighborhood sometime.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
wait...are you serious? ill ask the cop that sits in my neighborhood sometime.
Totally,

Technically if there is an entrance to a store and there is a double yellow line between you and it you are not supposed to cross over to enter the store entrance. The Double yellow needs to brake in order for you to cross over and enter the parking lot. Now if I had a penny for everyone that brakes that rule I would be richer than Bill Gates. The only time you might get in trouble for something like that is if you are in an accident and it is called to attention or if the cop has a bug up his butt.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:35 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Yeah, there was a big deal made over it a couple of years ago here (Ontario, Canada). At the time somebody published a list of North American jurisdictions where it was advisory, where it was mandatory, and where you'd get a ticket for dangerous driving (or similar) for ignoring the advisory. (You may not make a distinction between the latter two cases, but there is a distinction, as in one case it would be illegal to make a left hand turn over a double-yellow, and in the other case it isn't.) I didn't bookmark it, but I do remember being surprised that passing on the double yellow was only advisory in places in the US/Canada, contrary to what I was taught in driver's ed. ("Though shalt not passeth over the double yellow.")

Anyhow, as I said, YMMV, check with your local authorities, etc. etc.. I'm not recommending the practice by any means, although I do it all the time on two lane roads that I travel on regularly (it is advisory in Ontario). Then again, I almost always exceed yellow-posted speed limits (again, advisory in Ontario), and usually exceed the (white-posted) speed limit when passing (which also may or may not be legal in your jurisdiction, etc. etc.)

When it comes to traffic laws, there are no absolutes in either Canada or the US. Rules can be enacted at the county level. I can never remember where right turns on red are allowed, or not; or passing on the right is allowed, or not; and/or passing a left-turning car on the left is allowed, or not. Roundabouts are even more confusing.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:41 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trucho-951

i believe that if you're passing someone (let's say, he's going 45, speed limit is 60 and you're going 55), and there's some danger in the road (I.E. unforseen truck, oncoming car, etc), you can legally exceed the speed limit to avoid an accident.

dont hold me to that though......
Old 08-08-2006, 04:13 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95Juan
i believe that if you're passing someone (let's say, he's going 45, speed limit is 60 and you're going 55), and there's some danger in the road (I.E. unforseen truck, oncoming car, etc), you can legally exceed the speed limit to avoid an accident.

dont hold me to that though......

While I believe you should use good judgement and corresponding throttle while passing, and also believe the less time spent in the wrong lane, the better, it is still illegal.

I was on hwy 46 between I5 and 101 when I got my only ticket while doing this. I was following a fully loaded double hauling gas/liquids truck at the speed limit and while I wanted around him I had a preminition that I'd get nabbed. We started to climb a long strait hill and I had about 1/2 mile up the road visibility It was a dotted yellow line and no oncoming traffic. I downshifted my Mustang to 3rd and brought it up to about 70 and started making my way around. When I was about half way up the front trailer, I saw a car crest the hill, so I fully dropped the hammer and was doing about 85 when I got clear of the truck. It turns out the car was a CHiP and I saw his lights go on so I pulled over where convienient and waited for him. He felt bad for me as I explained I only sped up to get around the truck and that I wanted to minimize my time in that lane with oncoming traffic, but not bad enough to let me go. His radar got me at 82 and he 'let me off' with a 64 to keep the fine down. Luckily he was that nice as this was a "double fine zone" (if thats even legal?)

so theres my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quick Reply: Passing cars on twisted roads - 944S2 vs 951. Best method in S2?