Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep it's really that close. It's a really flat wheel as you can see in the picture.

The adaptor is a basic Grant unit. Had the same one in my first decent car 20 years ago. Same exact part. The ribbed part came with the wheel. I see on Grants site they have some longer ones with the 5 hole pattern I need (second pic).

I might have an aluminum spacer I can use, after a little help from drill press, if the size is right.

-----------------------------------------------------
Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 08-02-2006, 11:04 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Robby, on the 930S wheel here are some very quick measurements taken in the dark..(sorry!)

Looking at about 14-14.25" inches across. Roughly 355-360mm if my conversion is correct.

The circumference of the rim is roughly 4.5" inches - where the two places are for your hands at 9 and 3 o clock it is a bit thicker but couldnt get an accurate measurement for how much larger it actually is.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:34 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex- Is that your wheel pictured....? I can't see how you could possibly be at 5/8" & 6/8"- like I said, it's almost a perfect 2" closer than mine & I'm running a 1" spacer, plus, your wheel to turn signal looks almost exactly like mine did- plus, the turn signal is closer than the wiper & they're about even w/the cruise. Are you SURE you're not at 1 5/8" & 1 6/8"??? I'm honestly not trying to contradict you & if I'm wrong, please accept my apology b/c I'm really not trying to ride your a** about it, but my index & middle fingers are both over 1/2" thick & I have relatively thin finger & I don't see how you could clear it no matter how careful you were if they were 5/8 & 6/8... Regardless, IF Grant makes flat horn rings, you might be able to use one of those, but not sure if you could get it seperately...? OR, you could do a single sleeve spacer idea- Home Depot has these little nylon sleeves in all kinds of sizes- you could get 5 of them in about the diameter of the bolts that are ~1/8" thick (or whatever)- could paint their outer edges black & it wouldn't be as noticeable, but not sure that's the nicest looking idea... Check out some of the bigger parts places like NOPI & LTB & some of those... See if they don't have really small ones like 1/8" or 1/4" or something... I know they have from at least 15mm to 2.25" in 6-bolt patterns...

Sam- thanks for checking- mine's a hair over 4.25" @ smallest & a hair over 4.5" @ largest, so it sounds like your's may be a hair thicker, consistently, but mine's definately 350mm diameter. Your conversions are right on- 355.6 to 361.95... That's pretty close. I wouldn't mind going a hair smaller (~340?), but that's a nice wheel, so even going a hair larger, well, it's still smaller than factory by a decent margin... I had the toughest time picking my wheel out- I liked the looks, but wanted smaller- I think it was offered in a 300 & I knew that was too small. There were a few offered in 325, but I didn't like them as much- went w/this one & am very happy. Of course, had the 930 wheel been avaiable at a similar cost, I'd have had that much tougher of a time... Your Momo was nice, matching the red paint & all, but I definately think this is a step up in your interior- you've really done a great job modding your car...
Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Yeah that's my wheel from the other side. It's the only side picture I had last night. I just ran out now and snapped a couple more. Excuse the quality but I can't get in the passenger side when it's in the garage so I had to lean over and shoot.

In the first pic thats my left hand index finger but I think it will give you a good idea of the space. That's the second joint on that finger and it's touching the wheel and levers.

The second pic I put up so you can see the increase in thickness where the switches are. Thats where I got my measurements from. Anywhere else on the wheel would only add around a 1/2 inch of space. But at that point is where it always seems to be when I'm turning.

Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I wish I knew if this would fit, that'd be really sexy, might even be able to keep my airbag
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

WOW! I guess I was wrong Alex... Damn that's close- it looks like the Grant adapaters might bring the wheel even closer than stock. You definately need to find some sort of spacer to use that wheel & that seems to be a little tougher, since it's a 5-bolt instead of 6... You also have a slight gap at the base- not sure if that's b/c of the adapter too or not... Have you looked for more spacers that would match it? Might be tough if it's a wheel you really like. I don't see how you could possibly turn w/out hitting the wipers & that gets annoying quickly.

Greg- I like that interior much better than 996, but I don't know about the wheel in our cars- in yours, it might look good, since you're starting to accent w/aluminum. It's a pretty cool wheel for an airbag wheel- the only ones I've liked better for ABs are some of the smaller Audi's...
Old 08-03-2006, 10:30 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
Greg- I like that interior much better than 996, but I don't know about the wheel in our cars- in yours, it might look good, since you're starting to accent w/aluminum. It's a pretty cool wheel for an airbag wheel- the only ones I've liked better for ABs are some of the smaller Audi's...
Yeah well, there's one on Ebay right now, a mear $450 for the wheel & $500 for the airbag. I'm thinking my stock wheel is just fine...
Old 08-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregeast
Yeah well, there's one on Ebay right now, a mear $450 for the wheel & $500 for the airbag. I'm thinking my stock wheel is just fine...
DAMN! I knew I loved my MOMO!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Might be a bit late, but here:
Old 08-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Robbie - Well like they say, you get what you pay for. Under one hundred dollars with the adapter, I really wasn't expecting much. Just looking for some extra leg room under the wheel. Figured the smaller diameter and flat bottom would do the trick.

It really just needs to work until I take can repair the more important things first. Most likely I'll swap it out in the fall. Then get something really nice. But I'll work out something with it this weekend so that it'll work right until then.

The gap between the wheel and adapter is because I forgot to slide the rubber cover back into place.

Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 08-04-2006, 01:35 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

How much are the 930S wheels going for now with embossed crest? Do you get Rennlist discount at AJUSA? I remember when 944Pete got his they were around $250. But that may have been a big sale.

I really want to start spicing up the nine-quintuple-uno and this would be a good place to start.

Anyone know how to install a steering wheel. Dont laugh.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:29 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex- I see where you're going- good idea- get it to work for now & upgrade when $ permits... That's a common theme w/my car too...

UD- it's really easy- your's, even easier, since you'll be able to hook up a horn more easily, since you don't have the damn airbags that were the biggest part of my install... Tons of threads on this & I'd be glad to help you any way I could, but basically, you pop the horn cover off & there will be a really big center-nut- should be a 24mm IIRC- you pop that thing off & the wheel comes right out- it's really just about that simple for a non-AB car... I've never priced a 930S wheel, but that price sounds a little like a sale price unless they've come down a bit- I think they were pushing $400 several yrs ago- actually, I think it was ~$350 + adapter & ended up being a bit over $400- again, I think this was ~4 or 5yrs back.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:35 AM
vanosman
Instructor

Default 330mm Momo Top Power

too small for me, i went with same wheel, but it's a 350mm so i can see my gauges, it's slightly thicker than non bag 944 wheel, swapped the yellow for a crest horn button off Ebay

here is smaller 330mm & 350mm Momo 78 suede is nice

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Choices