Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack woes....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Neinfofo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack woes....

Okay, I am a new Porsche owner and the PO of my car said that the small steering rack leak has been just a drop for as long as he can remember. Well, yeah....2 months later the small drop has become 3 large drops to the right of the engine compartment and appears to be getting worse by the day. I have read the posts about rebuilds and I just need a sanity check. Can a fairly mechanical newby pull off a rebuild in his garage or should I just find a rebuilt one for sale or (gasp) buy a new/used one instead of rebuild. Keep in mind my wife will kill me if I spend a whole lot of money.......I can only get so much on the credit card without her noticing!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:50 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the self rebuild isn't too hard, but if you'd like to skip that altogether i have a rebuilt rack i pulled off in favor of manual steering. it was rebuilt by 944online and is out of the car and ready to ship if you are interested. it has late offset tie rods on it as well, but the outer ends may need to be replaced. let me know if you are interested.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:59 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you start considering rebuilding a rack (or getting a rebuilt one or a new one put in) -- make sure you diagnose the problem to the rack. You don't want to replace the rack, only to find out that all you had was a loose clamp in the PS fluid reservoir....
Old 07-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Neinfofo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I will crawl under and reassess the situation. The leak started getting worse after I changed the fluid out (transmission with Dextron).

What would a rebuilt rack cost me? And once again, can a newby get it done?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The last time I checked, rebuilds were ~$250.00, but I don't think that price includes shipping. Here is where I purchased my reseal kit. (http://www.rennbay.com/rack-944-powe...-kit-p-46.html) Has been on for about a year and a half with no problems. I think you can do it, but I would suggest a lot of patience. This was the first real mechanical thing I had done on any car aside from oil changes and simple intake mods, etc... I did it over the course of several days in the middle of winter, but my car is not a daily driver, so I could take as much time as I wanted.

As others have said, make sure that your leaks is actually coming from the rack. In my case, the boots for the tie rods were full of PS fluid, so it was a no-brainer.

Quick Reply: Steering rack woes....