Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed plugs/ crap went on my pistons.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 02:16 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removed plugs/ crap went on my pistons.

I removed my spark plugs today so it would be easier to turn the engine (installed flywheel lock for timing belt replacement).

anyways I removed all four plugs and made sure no crap was round them but when I removed plug 3 / 4 they were harder to remove and did not turn as easily , anyways when I got them out, I noticed there was a lot of saw dust coloured crap between the spark plug's sealing "washer" and the plug mounting part on the head...

the stuff was stuck partially to the sealing washer thing on the spark plug but mostly it was stuck on the head. I sprayed it with liquid wrench to make it soft and I removed it with my fingers/ used a ear sway to clean it as best as I could.

when I put cylinder 1 at tdc I looked at spark plug 4, and I could see the top of the piston with a light and the saw dust coloured stuff was all over the top of the piston...... I'm really worried now, I used a ear sway wetted with liquid wrench to get some of it out from the top of the piston.

there is probably a good amount on top of cylinder 3 which also had it but I did not try and clean clyinder 3 and I'm not sure how much of it is on top of clinder 3.

Now there is one more problem, I think this stuff (some of it felt like fine sand) was actually corroded metal between the spark plug washer and the head where it mounts but I could be wrong.

Other thing is the the sealing part on the head where the spark plugs washer is suppose to seal still has some stuff stuck to it (looks liek corroded metal) and it won't off, also there is some small pitting in the mounting part for spark plugs 3/ 4 so I'm not sure if the new spark plug will seal properly......

last question, will the corroded metal or whatever crap that landed on top of my clinders come out when the engine is started or will it stay in there and possibly cause damage?

sorry I can't believe something simple as removing spark plug is making me worried.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

bump

anyone know if the crap that fell on my pistons will come out or if it will scratch the clyinders..... I'm not sure what to do. I'll move piston 3 to top position tom and try and remove some of the dirt (corroded metal dust?) off of it with a ear swap soaked in liquid wrench so the dirt sticks ot it. I obviously can't get all of it out (not sure how much fell in) but removing any is better than nothing.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:46 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Vacuum out as much as you can but most of the time, it won't hurt your engine as long as its not metal.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:53 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

umm..... it must be metal because it was between the spark plug sealing (washer) and the mounting part of the head it looks like the metal between the spark plug and head corroded at this contact point and all the stuff left around there was the corroded metal, it was like fine sand and looked like sawdust kind of.

I can see that the spark plugs "washer" is corroded and rusted.

so what fell in was find metal I'm guessing some of it I took off was gritting kind off.

I could not vaccume it out the vacuum is not power full enough to suck it out.

like I said I used an ear swab that with lube on it to stick all the stuff off the top of the piston but I can't see all of it and won't be able to get it all out.

sounds like I have bad luck, strange how two of the plugs were like this. the even had the corroded metal gritty stuff on the treads and they weren't as easy to turn as the other 2 plugs without this.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:25 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like someone may have put loctite or some type of goop on the plug. I am with Lego, vacume as much as possible and don't worry about it.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:44 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

it felt like fine sand when I took it off. it was only between the washer of the plug and the head and some on the threads of the spark plug. the washers on the spark plug look corroded so I thought it might be rust even though it was saw dust coloured... Not sure what else it could be as it wasn't on the outiside of the plug at all.

also another question if the spark plugs "washer" does not seal properly, because of the metal or whatever still stuck on the head where the spark plug goes in willl this cause a leak?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use a vacuum hose end on it and close the rest of the hole closed so it can really suck it out. After that, if still crap in there, use compressed air but be sure to cover the other holes so it nothing else will get in there. That worked one time for my friends car that part of the spark plug cracked on me and into the cyclinder.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about an extendable magnet? if its still the least bit magnetic it might help.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Just start up the engine without that one plug and it will blow out whatever that crap in a sec.

Quick Reply: Removed plugs/ crap went on my pistons.