Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick help needed: Drill S2 airbox?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick help needed: Drill S2 airbox?

I know and agree that the S2's airbox is sweetly positioned in the cool fresh air. But I have it apart to replace the filter and discovered there is only an inlet at one end. There are some internal structures too - and I wonder if the intake isn't "tuned" or aerodynamically engineered in some way.

Any reason to NOT drill holes all along the front of the housing to get air going straight into the filter?

Thanks in advance.

RK
Old 07-23-2006, 08:08 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The air box IS designed to function properly. If Porsche engineers figured it needed more holes there would be more holes.

Don't mess with it!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

I suspected that - but the 964 guys ALL drill thier airboxes - so I thought I'd check.

I take it you've tried this?

RK
Old 07-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Since it is under the header panel, it is designed to maximize the lifespan of the filter. Starts on one side and will slowly draw air/ clog from one side to the other. This saves you from pulling the header panel off everytime you want to check it. Replace it at the specified intervals....

Want to pull your panel more often, drill it. That's all the it will do for you...

~Clint
Old 07-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Ah - clever - those german engineers!

But - I WOULD trade shorter replacement intervals for more airflow - crisper response - more power, etc - IF those are the benefit to drilling.

This is a garage queen, never sees rain, winters, etc. I have a daily driver.

So - WOULD I see performance benefits at the expense of shorter lifespan of the filter? Seems worth it to me.

RK
Old 07-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

I can't imagine better airflow into the motor unless the filter was partially clogged.

As far as a benefit, I highly doubt it would be anything you would feel. I would go with a chip before drilling into the airbox.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:30 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the only reason to drill the airbox is to make it sound different. You'll get a louder and more intense sound but I don't believe you'll realize any horsepower gains.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Theres a kid at my work who recently got a nissan sentra spec-v, so of course he asks we what mods to buy...

"So, how about a cold air intake, will I get more power?"
"Most likely not - you might even lose some. But it might sound better."
"It will sound better? Really? Because...I'd be willing to give up 5hp for better sound."
Old 07-23-2006, 09:20 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

The car is noisier if you drill it. Unlike the 2.5, I've never heard of anyone claiming (and proving) an actual power/response difference. Also, a good rainstorm will cause the paper filter to become a soggy (clogged) torn filter. If you do it, get a K&N S2 filter (not that I like them, but they aren't paper). If you want to try it to hear the noise (many people like the intake roar), just remove the whole front (top) and zip tie the filter in place (and don't drive in the rain). It is also fairly easy to fit a complete cone filter, again, if you like the noise ...

The stock front (top) is designed to even out the airflow to the filter over time and keep debris (i.e., leaves and/or snow) from clogging the whole assembly. (I've tested the latter extensively :-) )

The rear-engined cars benefit from drilling because all the noise-making parts of the car are at one end (and air-cooling adds even more noise); thus, the air filter has to be muffled, i.e., restricted, to meet noise regulations.

The Swiss have the most strict noise regs, and the Swiss version of the S2 has an intake muffler to reduce intake noise. The rest of us don't have one.

BTW, if you want better throttle response, the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate assembly is where to look. However, the car may feel a lot less refined without a rubber-centered clutch.

YMMV
Old 07-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

All good points - I put it back together with a fresh filter and no holes.

Thanks!

RK
Old 07-23-2006, 11:56 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

buy my extra s2 air box and drill away 65 shipped

Quick Reply: Quick help needed: Drill S2 airbox?