Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting amp in spare tire well

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:47 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting amp in spare tire well

Should I mount it across the front or the rear of the spare tire well? If I screw into either side, will I hit anything that I don't want to hit? I was mainly concerned with screwing into the front side and hitting the gas tank. Any ideas on the best way to go about this?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:42 AM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know the answer to your question, but an alternative would be to fashion a small "cover" for the well and mount the amp upside down on that cover. That would also cover up part of the well which is a source of noise. If your amp runs hot then this might not be so great as it'll be bathing in it's own heat. However, I'm guessing you will have the carpeting covering this area anyway, so it may be a wash. I"d also put some dynamat extreme in the well area. That section of the wheel well where you want to mount the amp resonates like a drum.

Depending on the size of the amp you could also mount it to a board that leaned against the tire iteself and then "bungy" or otherwise tie the board to the tire.

Good luck.

Phil
Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 AM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I put a JL amp across the front. I riveted some aluminum angle stock (Drilling VERY carefully with a drill stop set to just a hair thicker than the sheetmetal) to the top-front of the tire well and cut out some of the foam from under the carpet to make it fit. It's not visable from the outside - looks totally stock, and allows the spare to be used without having to remove the amp... Just be very careful drilling anywhere in the area of the well - there is VERY little clearance around the gas tank! Hey, it worked for me!

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/amp2_copy1.jpg
Old 07-18-2006, 11:33 AM
kwdrus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the dimensions of the amp? Will it fit into one of the side cubbies? I mounted mine to a board that is attached to the vertical seam that runs front to back, right where the carpet folds up. This way you avoid drilling thru the sheetmetal and puncturing the tank. The car's PO mounted something to the top of the rear deck and put 4 screws right thru the tank.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why drill? My idea is to just use the spare tire hold down, unless the amp is too big to fit across the bottom, holding a piece of wood that the amp is screwed to.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:53 AM
kwdrus
Racer

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Why drill? My idea is to just use the spare tire hold down, unless the amp is too big to fit across the bottom, holding a piece of wood that the amp is screwed to.
But what if you want to retain the spare tire?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Oh... i forgot people still do that.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:44 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Spare tire? What Spare Tire?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:47 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mavfan
Spare tire? What Spare Tire?
Love it BUT............. don't you think its a bit exposed in case of accident?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:59 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

It probably is, but there's no better place for it and unless i get hit from behind at 40+ i'm not to worried with it getting punctured and spraying everywhere. Nitrous isn't as dangerous as you'd think
Old 07-18-2006, 01:13 PM
kwdrus
Racer

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
Love it BUT............. don't you think its a bit exposed in case of accident?
No kidding. A few years ago I was rear ended, car totaled. I was on my way to a training session at the fire academy with my Scott Pak and spare tanks in the rear sitting on the deck. Although I always travel with them empty, but they still go tossed around underneath the pull out cover. If you read the recent thread about the Fix-a-flat can, you can only imagine how much damage a tank the size of your's would do.
I was hit at maybe 25-30 mph. The spare tire well, which was empty was completely crushed.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:15 PM
kwdrus
Racer

It's not the gas that's the worry, it's the missle waiting to happen. Not to mention your eardrums. I don't mean to preach, but i do understand the lack of mounting points in these cars.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

When are you going to post pics of your new turbo? Did you buy that other one in peices?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mavfan
It probably is, but there's no better place for it and unless i get hit from behind at 40+ i'm not to worried with it getting punctured and spraying everywhere. Nitrous isn't as dangerous as you'd think
Careful, this could be your car!

Old 07-18-2006, 07:53 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sharky47
When are you going to post pics of your new turbo? Did you buy that other one in peices?
I don't know when I'll post be able to post pics; I don't have a digi cam so I guess I'll just have to have some developed and put on cd (so old school...). I haven't yet bought the car in pieces due to being too damn busy, but I still plan to pursue that sometime in august when school starts and things slow down (sad that I'm looking forward to things slowing down when school starts )

About the amp; the dimensions are 18.25"L x 10.5"W so I'm not really sure if it would fit comfortably in either cubby. As for the spare tire well, I'm not planning on keeping the spare seeing as I don't really trust a 20yr old piece of rubber and this car didn't come with the compressor. I think I may mount it upside down on a piece of mdf. Would I be ok drilling two holes down on either side of spare tire well?

Quick Reply: Mounting amp in spare tire well