Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA - don't store fix-a-flat in the hatch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 12:42 AM
sbyrne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, exactly what are we supposed to use for a spare? I'm guessing that my original 22 year old expanding spare is useless now, and local inquiries (haven't checked with the 'Rack) indicate that they are no longer available. If F.A.F. isn't a good choice (got one inside my spare tire well, but I guess it's coming out), what else is out there? Cel phone and AAA seems like overkill for a flat tire.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The expanding spare tire still works fine. I inflated mine just to see it..and it held air fine. I met up with a local owner who had the spare inflated in his rear hatch, his wife drove home with the spare on after getting a flat.

The big issue for me is that my n/a spare tire does not fit over my turbo brakes. Not to mention my car is to low to fit the jack under it. I used to keep Fix-A-Flat in the rear hatch compartments but frankly i am so paranoid now, especially with the 100 degree weather that ive taken it out. Ill take my chances with my AAA card and the cellphone.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:18 PM
RI951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, my wife's car had a can of Fix-a-flat cook off in her car years ago, in the back of her 87 Ford Mustang, after baking in the Florida sun. Same deal. Spewed junk all over the carpet and hatch glass. We never did get it all off. But it was a Mustang, so no great loss. I used to keep a can insided a huge untied garbage bag, the thinking being that if the can cooked off, the bag would contain the spatter.

Then I did what Devon suggested, and got a cheap 12v compressor. Problem solved.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have been lucky the can didn't spark against the body when it hit...

http://www.chemaxx.com/tirefire4.htm

Sucks for clean up but it would have been an even greater surprise if you walked out to a charred heap where you let your car.

Quick Reply: PSA - don't store fix-a-flat in the hatch!