Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safelite for windshild repair???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 03:07 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safelite for windshild repair???

Can anybody recommend them? Second time I had my car out this summer, driving down this unvelibable twisty road headded for the storage garage,nothing but this on my mind Driving as far right as possible to avoid rocks from uncomming trafic. And then I see it, an asteroid from the planet Zoltor takes dead aim at my left 1/4 of the windshield and BAAAAM!!! The dammge is about the size of a quarter.
Last fall I had my R foglight taken out by same type CFO (consequential flying object)

Anyway has anybody used Safelite for this type of repair? Or can recomend alternatives (like thr DYI kits).

TIA
Old 07-17-2006, 03:16 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently used Safelite -- but I also had insurance that covered glass damage. The first time, Safelite sent out a mobile-unit (from Fremont, CA) and patched a pea-sized crack -- but I wasn't satisfied with the repairs. The patch only reinforced the glass to prevent spreading, but left a spot on the windshield that blocked driver vision -- unsafe. So I went back to a different Safelite unit (in San Francisco, CA) and had them replace the windshield. They got the proper one with antenna built in, and did a good an excellent prompt install -- very happy this time. I think it all depends on who you get.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:40 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Joe, looks like you made out nicely. I have ins. but rather not use it as the quote for the repair was only $50. Also the damage is not in the field of view, my main interest is to stop it from spreading. Living up here is impossible to have a perfect windshield. I figured I would hold out for 6 or 7 hits (or one annoying one in the field of vision) before I replace the whole thing.

At least it sounds like they stand behind their work.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:01 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lou, since you're in Colorado, I use, and will provied an incredible recommendation for Elite auto glass. they'll come to you.

and I know exactly what you mean by how difficult it is to keep a perfect windshield... got mine replaced not 1 year ago, and it's already pitting...pretty badly...
Old 07-17-2006, 03:42 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Geoff, thanks for the info. I called Elite auto glass and they do have competitive prices. Unfortunately they only have service centers in the Denver area (over 100 miles away from me). I think I’ll pay Safelite a visit since they have a service center in Frisco (about 30 miles) and I want to take care of this before it gets any worse.

Quick Reply: Safelite for windshild repair???