Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft noises

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:05 AM
LtReid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft noises

iight people so whenever i get off the gas it sounds like the driveshaft is lose or something, and when i get back on it you hear the noise again. Well really you feel it any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:30 AM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My car has always had a moderate amount of drivtrain noise that changes between acel and deceleration. Is it a whinning noise or more of a clunking noise.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:59 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Around 2-3k rpm? Most 944s have a characteristic driveshaft noise, like a grindy whir. The driveshaft will continue to function fine - it's just annoying, and expensive to fix. The fix would be rebuilding the torque tube with new bearings. I think rebuilt tubes go bad again soon anyway. If you really want to kill the noise, try some more soundproofing under the car around the driveshaft/torque tube.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:24 AM
LtReid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its like a clanking noise that pretty much shifts the whole car
Old 07-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LtReid
its like a clanking noise that pretty much shifts the whole car
Do you have an n/a? If so, then it sounds to me like the rubber-center clutch hub has deteriorated and it is time to replace it. Try this: accelerate up to third gear, and quickly lift off the throttle - if you hear clanking and banging and the back end lifts up a little, then your clutch hub is shot.

Also: there is a little trap door in the front of the transaxle 'pumpkin.' Pry open the rubber 'door' and with the motor off, reach up there and if the driveline can be easily moved around, again, your clutch hub is shot.

If you have a 951, and the symptoms above are the same, then your spring centered clutch is probably missing a few springs.

Good luck,
-Z.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:56 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like what I have been complaining about for 2 years! Since I got the spring centered Turbo clutch, I've noticed just what you describe. Sounds like metal rubbing metal when you let off the gas in any gear, right?

Z says it's normal 944 noise, so I've been ignoring it. Right Z!?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by AndyK
Sounds like what I have been complaining about for 2 years! Since I got the spring centered Turbo clutch, I've noticed just what you describe. Sounds like metal rubbing metal when you let off the gas in any gear, right?

Z says it's normal 944 noise, so I've been ignoring it. Right Z!?
Andy - your noise is normal (driveline whine). Since I've upgraded to a solid tranny mount, the back of my car sounds like a cement mixer! Take a ride sometime - you'll see what I mean...

Clanking noises and what LtReid is describing is vastly different - based on his description, LtReid is experiencing driveline backlash, a common occurance when the clutch hub is shot.

-Z-man.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:30 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z-man
Andy - your noise is normal (driveline whine). Since I've upgraded to a solid tranny mount, the back of my car sounds like a cement mixer! Take a ride sometime - you'll see what I mean...

-Z-man.
Ah, right. These cars are just noisey--a fact of old Porsche life! Speaking of noises (sorry about the hijack)-

I AM getting a strange noise when I accellerate out of a sharp left hand sweeping turn (left hand off-ramp exit, for example). Loud vibration coming from the right rear (I think). Doesn't happen in right-hand turns.

One half-axel need replacement?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:39 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Judging from the fact that it's a clanking noise, I'd say it's probably actually the CV joints in the rear end.

When the rubber center on my clutch went it was more of a whirring noise when you got on it, no clanking.

ANDY K: IF it's a metal vibrating (chattering) sound, I had something similar and it was the heat shield on the cat touching in turns... check that out since you can just bend it with pliers.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RMills944
ANDY K: IF it's a metal vibrating (chattering) sound, I had something similar and it was the heat shield on the cat touching in turns... check that out since you can just bend it with pliers.
The sound is more like a deep vibration, and not a thin heat shield type of clanging. Hard to explain. I wish it was a simple as a heat shield though!!

Quick Reply: Driveshaft noises