Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time DIY Timing Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 07:49 PM
bdodd444
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time DIY Timing Belt Question

I just got a 1987 944 and part of the great deal is that it is due a timing belt replacement. I have already seached the forum, but wanted to see if I can get a one shot response to my questions, so here goes:

All of the mechanic estimates for a timing belt and water pump change in Northern Virginia range from $1800-$2600, so I am going to try and tackle it myself. I downloaded the factory manuals, and my plan is to take it to do the work at the local Army post where they have a DIY garage with tools and a mechanic for guidance. I have done some stuff on my truck like the idle control motor, oil change etc, but this will definetly be the biggest thing I have tackled.

First of all, can someone tell me exactly what parts I should order in addition to timing belt, water pump and front seals? What is the best online distributor? How much time should I budget to do the job? Any special tools that the Auto shop may not have? For the 1987, I don't need a tensioning tool, is that correct?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel very fortunate to have found this forum, and I really appreciate all of the great posts. Thanks.

Brian
Old 07-11-2006, 07:59 PM
RM512
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.944online.com They have a compete kit with waterpump, rollers, belts, etc.
This is a fairly easy, straightforward project. Just take your time.
Welcome to the list!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to order the balance belt tension roller as well as the idler pulley. For the timing belt, the same deal, idler pulley and the tensioner roller. Also order the balance belt and change the accesory belts, power steering and alternator while they are off. Waterpump gasket and thermostat are good to make sure you have also.

The job is not very hard, but theres a bit of a learning curve the first time its done. With a decent selction of tools count on it taking between 5-8 hours.

Tools that you will need to complete the job...

-24mm or a 15/16th deep socket for removing the crank pulley bolt.
-A decent size (2 foot works well depending how strong you are) breaker bar to use in conjunction with above socket (that bolt is tight!)
-Flywheel lock. You can probably jam a screw driver onto the flywheel gear..but make your life easier and use the right tool!
-Tensioning tool. You are correct that your '87 car most likely has the spring tensioner, however you still need to check the belt tension to verify. I find the spring tensioner consistantly will NOT put enough tension on the belt, it helps to 'ease' it into the belt after the spring sets. This usually gets you 'close'. You still need to double check, either with the genuine 9201 tool or something like the 920X (an afermarket tool made just for this job).

You will probably need..
- A decent sized gear puller to remove the crank and balance shaft pulleys.

Tools that you dont need but will help immensely and speed things up..
-Thin offset 17mm wrench. Makes tensioning the balance belt easier, but not required
-Pin wrench to hold the balance belt sprockets aswell as take tension off the spring tensioner. Again, not required but makes life and things go much faster.

Many of the funky tools i mentioned can be purchased from ArnnWorx (http://www.arnnworx.com/. I have all of his tools, including the tensioner and they are all top notch products.. great alternatives to the very expensive factory tools.

A tip to get you started, take the fan shroud off. Its 6, very easy to reach bolts.. and will make this job alot easier with much more room to work.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:41 AM
bdodd444
Track Day

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the response. This was very helpful. I do have a follow up. I am having a little trouble decifering the work shop manual. After I figured out that the timing belt is referred to as the camshaft belt, I got to section 15, but I can't find the sections for the water pump and front seals. Any navigational guidance for the manual, my search of the forum came up with a blank. Thanks again.

Brian
Old 07-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The shop manual is a bit harder to follow i think.. i highly reccommend ClarksGarage as they kinda 'dumb it down' into an easier to understand text. Also a bit more detailed in my opinion, just no pictures.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/

Go to the shop manual link on the left and look at the camshaft section.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:09 PM
bdodd444
Track Day

Thank you again for the great advice.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure you already have an access things like torque wrenches and cheater sticks....

I'd also recommend having ready a good selection of metric nuts and bolts -- nothing is more frustrating than waiting for that one stupid bolt to arrive in the mail....
Old 07-12-2006, 09:45 PM
RM512
Racer

This place has a kit with all the nuts and bolts for a front engine rebuid.
www.eagleday.com
Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Wow $1800 - $2600 to do the water pump and belts! Yikes. No wonder so many of these cars are getting parted. That is just unbelievable.....
Old 07-12-2006, 11:22 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike C.
Wow $1800 - $2600 to do the water pump and belts! Yikes. No wonder so many of these cars are getting parted. That is just unbelievable.....
That price is so high, rediculously high.....just went through the papers, local shop charged $840 labour for a clutch on an 86 951, claimed 22-24 hours labour as well.....

I was charged $330 for the front belts, rollers, pump labour (all parts were from me) on my 88 NA......dang, some US places are expensive.

Note: $1800 is the average price for a good paint job IIRC, and i do mean good, very good.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:03 AM
AR10
Racer

Paint job here in So. Dak. $2500-$5000

Quick Reply: First Time DIY Timing Belt Question