Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Headlights are brightest

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Paul C 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Headlights are brightest

What Headlights are brightest ,using stock wiring ,relays etc.Im looking to get brighter ,but not looking to rewire,hid etc.Looking for a stock replacement. were brighterI heard sylvania silver star , I think was the name ,anyone using them over regular halogen?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do not want to rewire anything, go with any e-code type lense. They have a very sharp cutoff and use a regular H4 bulb instead of a sealed beam type. The sealed beam Sylvania SilverStars are nothing special really. The regular H4 55w SilverStar bulb is not bad paired with the e-codes.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Silverstars burn out early ....

Went back to Hella H4 ....
Old 07-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Paul C 944
Burning Brakes

Techno duck,
Where can I get them and how much??How big of an improvement can I expect?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:45 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E-codes are hard to find, but one of our sponsors carries them: Rennbay. They also carry other lighting goodies, if you're willing to get your hands dirty for some wrenching.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Paul C 944
Burning Brakes

How are the e code,for off road use only in real world use? Would they light up the road better or worse? I would like a good bright spread,road and to sides ,for corneres etc.It looks like rennbay has hella h4 ve e code,which is better/brighter/most useable for nite driving?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the e-code 'cibies" from iceshark (rip). The kit was 230ish 60 each i think for the lenses, the rest was bulbs and such, both for the lenses and every bulb on the car.

The kit I got was the half-boat kit, which is 55 watt i believe h4's? the full boat was 100 watt and needed the wiring replaced.

Lets just say my passenger bright still doesn't work, but with ONLY my driver side bright on it looksl ike i just switched the roof rack lights on my old range rover on...

I don't even turn my brights on since onlyh one lights up, the low beam with the cibies is about as bright or maybe even brighter, and disperses the light much better, than my volvo with the brights on.

honestly, I'm not really worrying about fixing my brights right now because I honestly never feel like I can't see well enough... if you have been up to burrillville/foster you'll understand how good the lights must be. I can bring a camera next time im out at night and take a picture if youd like... not sure how well it will come out though.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E-codes are not DOT approved because DOT is backwards and slow. Europeans seem very happy with them. E-codes also have the added advantage of not blinding on-coming traffic as much. Various photors exist if you search for it (here or on Google).
Old 07-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason E code lenses are for off road use only in the USA is because they do not meet DOT specifications. They exceed DOT specs in all areas with the exception of radiant light. DOT requires a percentage of light radiated above and to the sides to help illuminate overhead signs. The E codes focus all of the light ahead on the road. You get much better useable light with the same wattage bulbs out of an E code than you do a DOT lenses. To top that, you can even run much higher wattage bulbs with the E codes without blinding oncoming traffic due to the lack of radiant light.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions regarding E codes just ask.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are legal here in Canada.

Cops don't seem to care too much. All they want is for the driver to see down the road. Don't think you will get pulled over for e-codes. If the lights are dim ... that's another story. You will get pulled over.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
944driver
Advanced

I picked up my SilverStars at Walmart. I think they were $15 to $20 each. Whats interesting though is that the H4 bulbs that fit my "e-codes" are manufactured by Osram and imported while all of the other SilverStars made here by Sylvania. I wonder if the imported Silverstars are similar to the Osram Bilux bulbs?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:25 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 413 Posts

I had a 944 and a 951 and a boxster, now a 968.

The 968's lights are AMAZING compared to any of the other cars stock lights!

Just thought you should know...
Old 07-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

I have E codes from JC Whitney in my cab with Silverstars. Amazing upgrade, even with the stock wattage. Silverstars are not that great, I also had E codes with regular H4 bulbs and the light output was about the same. At any rate I was suprised by the quality of the JC Whitney E codes ( 7" OFF-ROAD H-4 headlights.) If they include bulbs they are generally cheapies. You used to be able to get them without the crappy bulbs for $22 or so per side, but the price has gone up it seems.

-Joel.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the DOT requiring light to be spread out fits the mentality of drivers here. Divert your available attention all over the place (eating, drinking, putting on make up, reading newspaper, and talking on the phone at the same time) instead of paying attention to what is in front of you...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Originally Posted by Legoland951
I think the DOT requiring light to be spread out fits the mentality of drivers here. Divert your available attention all over the place (eating, drinking, putting on make up, reading newspaper, and talking on the phone at the same time) instead of paying attention to what is in front of you...
Out here in curvy road and deer country, it's essential to be able to see not only the road, but what's about to jump into it. Focusing only on what's directly in front of you isn't a virtue, it's a problem.

Quick Reply: What Headlights are brightest