Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Speaker Pods EDIT- BETTER CAR PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 02:30 PM
picklejuice52
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Custom Speaker Pods EDIT- BETTER CAR PICTURES

Hey guys, I just finished my rear speaker pods for the S2 Cab. I took the existing panels and pretty much cut a hole in it and put and MDF ring that i cut to the size of the speaker and angled to get the best acoustics. I then layyed t-shirt material over the entire mock up and made sure it had the contours i liked. Afterwards I brushed on fiberglass resin and let it sit overnight. The next day i sanded it to my liking and trimmed excess t-shirt/fiberglass resin. I mocked up the speakers to make sure they would fit and then layyed vinyl sheets on some glue and used a heat gun to form it into the contours. As you can see, i decided to keep the button fastners so that i could still use my convertible top canvas convering. The speakers are 6x9 alpine s series, the amp is a pioneer 600 watt 4 channel, the front speakers are going to be 6.5 alpine component sets with adj tweeters and the headunit is an alpine IVA-D310 with seperate computer. I wasnt much into stereos when i bought the car, but for my graduation present my parents bought me that headunit, and i didint want to compliment it with ****ty speakers and a crappy setup, so thats why i did all this work to make it look good.

The door pods in the front are just about to get layyed in vinyl, the box in the middle will house the crossovers and the front is obviously for the speaker. The vinyl will be black for the front speakers. Im also contemplating some computer grade cold cathode lights to mount under the footwells of the drivers and passengers sides and tap into the courtesy lights so that when i open my doors the lights will come on with the courtesy lamps and then turn off when the door shuts. Im thinking about blue to match my backlit gauges. Im also contemplating drilling a hole in my rear bumper (in the middle of the two rubber pads) and mounting a backup camera that i could have running anytime i want. That way if im in traffic i could just look down at the tv to see whats
behind me. It also comes with nightvision, so it would be neat. Unless someone is bejhind me then it will glare. Well i thought id show you guys these, tell me how they look, thanks!!

Last edited by picklejuice52; 07-12-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:47 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Interesting solution. I can see that the cabs would have a whole new set of problems due to the folding top. Did you cut holes in the front doors and did the front encloseure really have to be that deep? Thanks for posting
Old 07-11-2006, 03:09 PM
picklejuice52
Instructor

yep, i had to notch the inside of the door a little bit. I wanted to speakers to aim towards the driver so i angled them our a little ways, but the woofers of the component set came out a little far, the magnet sticks out about 3/4 of an inch in the front doors, but it all cleared perfectly. The back speakers had to come out jhust enough to clear the folding top mechanism but still allow the back seats to flip down, it was a good learning experience!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
picklejuice52
Instructor

All in all it didnt take too long, a few nights
Old 07-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want to see more pictures of that car!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:12 PM
picklejuice52
Instructor

haha, yes definatley, ill wash her up and take a few money shots tommorrow. Thanks for the interest lol!!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very innovative! Please post pics of your door panels after you have them covered.

Did you use the same process to form those door speaker pods?

Last edited by Mike B; 07-12-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:59 AM
picklejuice52
Instructor

first off, thanks!

second off, yep, exact same process, with the only difference being that the back speakers instead of making a backing plate for them (out of 3mm wood) i used the original plastic backing that came with the car, cut a hole in it, made a MDF ring for the speaker to sit in and wedged a 1 inch MDF cut out so it would be angled. The fronts, i layyed out the design i wanted then cut the MDF ring to fit my speaker, made a crossover box, picked up some fabric from wal-mart (it had to stretch in the X and Y, i used fleece, GREAT!) and layyed it over my design with spray adhesive. Then i mixxed my fiberglass resin and hardener (also purchased from wal-mart in the boating section) and spread it on with a paintbrush. The only thing that was tricky is the fact that ALL holes have to be pre drilled or the MDF will simply crumble, its very fragile before the fiberglass stage, but once the fiberglass hardens over night its structurally sound. I ended up getting the vinyl in black and jo-anns fabric, heres the list of stuff youll need if you wanted to do this

disposable gloves and cheap paint brushes
stretchable fabric (X and Y)
fiberglass resin and hardener
helmaprene glue or contact cement (for attatching the vinyl to the mold)
heat gun (makes stretching vinyl a breeze)
atleast 1 inch thick MDF (medium density fiberboard)
atleast 1/8 inch board (if your making a mold from scratch and need a backing)
drill
small reciprocating saw thingy for the patterns
spray adhesive

I havnt done the left side yet, so when i do it i will take all the pictures i can of it to show you guys the steps
Old 07-12-2006, 02:43 AM
GOSANE
Banned

Very nice job PJ.

Looking foward to more pics;^)
Old 07-12-2006, 03:13 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The one good thing about a factory setup that is inadequate is that it inspires people to fabricate or invent a solution. Nice work.

The stock 968 speaker setups are adequate enough that I wouldn't go out of my way to do that kind of work. The front speakers are put where 944 map holders go (5.25" with decent depth). The rear speakers go in the same place as the 944 location but they have removable grills which makes them a LOT easier to replace. I think these are 4"x6"... meh. But for a 944 something like what you did would be a huge improvement.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:57 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Thanks for the write-up.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:00 AM
picklejuice52
Instructor

Thanks!!, when i bought the car the stereo system sucked, which was odd because we went through the reciepts and the guy had done over 30k of work to the car since it was brand new, but the stereo system would skip a CD at every small road bump. Come to think of it, he was prolly a real enthusiast who just listened to the engine as music. Thats how i was too, until i got the head unit for my graduation. Anywho the speakers started to finally go about when i was planning on redoing the whole system. What really did it for me was this one time i got out of my car and shut the door and the door speaker shorted and made a HORRIFIC sound, like a ****load of fireworks in my car, so much so that i literally fell out of surprise. I think the front speakers were like 4 inches and the rears were maybe tapping into 3.5 inches. they were SMALL!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:01 AM
picklejuice52
Instructor

And dont worry, when i go to make the second one ill take pics along the way
Old 07-12-2006, 01:31 PM
picklejuice52
Instructor

As requested, you wanted to see some pics. I had a ****ty camera to work with but will take some with the Nikon when i get back to my dads house. Hope you enjoy the, how do i say this, teaser pics?

Old 07-12-2006, 03:01 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Dude, you have to get rid of the condensation/raindrops/fingerprints on the camera lens!

Keith

Quick Reply: Custom Speaker Pods EDIT- BETTER CAR PICTURES