Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a few misc. questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006 | 03:17 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Default a few misc. questions

Alright, so i have a few more questions

1) do i need the 944 altitude sensor? I took it off, should i put it back on?
2) The part numbers i pulled off the fuel pressure reg was 0 280 160 214.... that does not seem to be a valid 944 part number. Is that the wrong number?
3) what is the throttle valve switch? and what happens if it goes bad?
4) The car has no 02 sensor (its a race car) should i get one for it? or not worry about it?

thanks
Old 07-10-2006 | 04:24 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

1 yes
2 yes that is the bosch number
3 it is the black box on the side of the throttlebody, it will cuase a driveability problem when bad
4 yes...it helps the car run at the right fuel air mixture, without it you are not gonna have the correct mix unless the chip specifically is tuned to ignore o2 input
Old 07-10-2006 | 04:46 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nickg
1 yes
2 yes that is the bosch number
3 it is the black box on the side of the throttlebody, it will cuase a driveability problem when bad
4 yes...it helps the car run at the right fuel air mixture, without it you are not gonna have the correct mix unless the chip specifically is tuned to ignore o2 input
1) why do i need it (again I'm new)?
2)ok cool, looks like both bosch and someone else makes them.
3) will it cause problems all the time? (i figure my problem is like there is NO throttle and i have never heard of this piece)
4) Ok, well then it looks like I'll have to wire that back up.
Old 07-10-2006 | 05:20 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

if you don't have an altimeter senser..your car will not be able to compensate for different atmospheric conditions. if you race on a sea level track then go to a track at higher altitude, your car will not run at the proper mixture...just like a o2 senser.
the throttle switch is the ecm's way of knowing where the throttle is in relation to idle..it helps determine when to enrich the mixture and even timing advance, in essence it is like an accelerater function on a carb..
take this advice,,don't disconnect things like what you are doing, your car will not run right. don't be adjusting stuff for no reason..especcially throttle switches and impulse sensers...you will regrett it if you do. why would you take that stuff off in the first place really? whoever is telling you these things is either 25 years behind or has no idea what they are talking about and just have no clue on hoe motronic injection works..lastly, don't screw with the airflow meter...don't open it, don't mess with the adjustment screw...unless you have access to co machines
Old 07-10-2006 | 05:39 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

nick, Story is this is a race car... bought by me in its current broken state (note other current thread started by me)

The alt sensor was taken off by me and not put back on (yea i should have but i was in a hurry). but i asked a few races if they had one on their car and no one knew what it was, so i figured i didnt need it (my bad). also, i dont think I'll be racing at 3200ft (IIRC thats where the alt sensor switches settings).

I'm not retarted (well at least not when it comes to cars) but I'm new to the 944 so bare with me here as I'm not used to working on cars as old as I am

Quick Reply: a few misc. questions