Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All of the sudden it got really stiff - manual steering that is

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006 | 12:23 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question All of the sudden it got really stiff - manual steering that is

So, as some may recall I dove into a suspension renewal project over the past few months, got new-to-me wheels and new tires and finally got a 4 wheel alignment and other than some clearance issues, all was good. Even with wide tires on the front end steering felt great and the car handles great through turns. BUT, all of the sudden as I was driving down the street toward my house the other day steering got kind of heavy and tight. I've taken a cursory look at everything and at first glance all seems in order, but for some reason the steering feels kind of heavy. Remember, this is a manual steering rack, but regardless of that steering feels heavier than it was the other day.

Thoughts? I know the steering intermediate shafts can get really loose, can they also get really tight and bind up?

Ball joints are fairly new Rennbay units, with very few miles on them since I rebuilt everything. Tie-rods are three or four years old and seem in good nick. Struts and upper strut bearings are new and a couple years old in that order.
Old 07-10-2006 | 12:44 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

I changed tires/wheels on Friday and my manual steering effort doubled just from that.
Old 07-10-2006 | 12:46 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Steering link/shaft u-joint seizing up. The early 924's had a factory bulliten out on this.
Old 07-10-2006 | 12:46 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

one of the manual intermediate shafts i have is bound up pretty tight right now. that'd be my guess.

although, my steering is awfully heavy now too. but that's because i have about 3" of toe-in because i put early offset tie rods on my late offset car. that whole early "style" vs. late "style" threw me off...
Old 07-10-2006 | 01:52 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

I presume you disconnected the tie rods or the end, and know now that it's the stering rack that binds...
If it is, I can tell you that it happened to me too. Quite possibly your rack was painted inside at some point (as silly as it sounds, it does happen), and the paint chipped out, and got stuck between the plastic bushing (on the right side of the rack - inside) and the actual rack inside the housing. Or dirt got in.
In any case, you'll have to take it appart and clean it. Or get a replacement.
Old 07-10-2006 | 02:29 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just a cursory glance so far, so no I don't know for sure what is or isn't bound up. I do know the joints on the intermediate shaft look really crusty for some reason. I intend on putting the car up on stands and working the wheel back and forth, then disconnecting from outside to inside until I find the stiction. Rack was very original when I bought it, so not likely painted inside. I do know the mechanic centered the rack with a centering pin tool, I need to make sure they didn't leave it in and check to see if they adjusted the tensioner.

Also, like I mentioned before, the steering felt fine, even with the new wider tire, then all of the sudden felt stiffer than usual.
Old 07-10-2006 | 11:24 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with whats been said above. Most likely. Butt......also consider that if the rack is still original, and has never been apart, then the inner slides may be bone dry, needing lube, adjustment and a good old fashion lubing up in there. Especially, since your stressing it more with larger tires/wheels.

Just a thought.
Old 07-11-2006 | 12:18 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I don't think it is bone dry, but I do plan to check. I ran out gear as far as possible before I installed the rack and greased it up real good just to be sure. But that has been a few years at this point.
Old 07-11-2006 | 12:45 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Manning, I just noticed you aren't on my Fest track lists. What's up with that?
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:56 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ambivalence. On the one hand I wouldn't mind coming out there to hang out for a little while, and on the other hand I am starting to lose interest in this hobby. To much work to keep the car sorted and too little time to drive. The TDI or the Civic are better for commuting regarding fuel mileage (45 minute drive each way to work) and the fact that Karen doesn't like riding in the Porsche (too loud).
Old 07-12-2006 | 01:31 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Michael-

I wish I could help on the steering thing, but as you know, the only manual I've ever driven didn't feel so good- it was so unlinear & was actually easier to turn from on-center to the first 1/8 turn or so & then got really heavy- I've always hoped to find another manual example to try out before making up my mind on changing- I LOVE the idea of never having to worry about PS leaks again & my freakish "weight reduction" side loves the idea too... I'd still like to keep up w/this & find out the prob...

As for the car being too loud for the better half, that's pretty easy to fix & really wont hurt performance either- it will add a couple of pounds back but probably not as many as the manual steering conversion actually saved, plus, the few pounds would be more toward the back & lower too- wouldn't be very pricey & no more difficult than any of the other stuff you've done- several things being MUCH easier. I'd be glad to help w/a few tips- you know how to reach me if interested...

good luck either way- you're not planning to sell the car anytime soon are you? Those were about the coolest of the 24's, short of 931's- both are getting pretty rare....

Quick Reply: All of the sudden it got really stiff - manual steering that is