Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did my front sway brackets fail?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:14 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why did my front sway brackets fail?

My front sway bar bracket -- plus the KLA bracket support -- sheared off on the passenger side a couple of days ago. It certainly explains why my car's been a little tail-happy. I'm trying to get an idea as to what caused the failure before I reinstall replacement parts.

It's holding a 30mm sway bar with Delrin bushings. The failure happened during a track day -- which was a contributing factor.

Another contributing factor was when I installed the KLA bracket support, I couldn't easily get all 4 bolt holes to line up. The sway bar bushing clamp should sandwich the front sway bracket and the support should line up behind it. Instead, I had both hoop ends of the bushing clamp up front, then the front bracket, then the support. I suspect this caused the clamp to hold the Delrin bushing too tightly and transfered stress onto the upper bolt.

Anyhow, any additional input would be appreciated!

Old 07-08-2006, 07:29 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is that I had nothing to do with that! (or burning up your brake pads or melting the paint on your calipers...)
Old 07-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris luckett
All I know is that I had nothing to do with that! (or burning up your brake pads or melting the paint on your calipers...)
LOL
Old 07-08-2006, 08:33 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know it is possible to install the swaybar upside down. Perhaps yours is, and combined with the other things you mentioned, too much stress?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:09 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

I saw this once before, it was a track car. All stock sway bar setup. It let go at the other end of the bracket, near the connection to the frame rail. I thought it was just a fatique thing. No big deal, **** happens....Bruce
Old 07-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you hit something or go off track? I can understand the thin factory bracket failing due to fatigue but not the thick KLA support, unless the KLA part was made poorly or damaged and had a notch or something cutting into the bend. I just installed a set of Tarret sway bars. The front support brackets are designed with two sets of holes so you can raise the bar about an inch if you desire, it improves the geometry and it also helps keep the bar out of harms way, unfortunately for you this solution only works when you buy their bar and mounting brackets.

Here is a pic of the brackets, the line shows where I cut off the excess material (factory position), the second pic shows the brackets cut to the improved geometry. The Tarret brackets come dilled with both holes so you have options.

In the words of Ferris Bueler, "If you have the means, I highly recommend them"
Old 07-08-2006, 09:57 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Originally Posted by Cory M
Did you hit something or go off track?
Yea... I did have an off-track excursion and used the 944 as a lawnmower. I suppose that helped to kill the KLA support.

The Tarett sway bars look nice -- I'd better start browsing Lindsey's website....

Trending Topics

Old 07-08-2006, 10:04 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

You might be on to something with the transferring of the rotational stress to the sway bar bracket base, from not sandwitching the frame rail bracket.

Pull both sides of the failed part and inspect them.

Hell, what am I talking about, that sway bar is well lubed.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:30 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Off-roading and pounding on curbs tends to break swaybar mounts or end-links...

Quick Reply: Why did my front sway brackets fail?